MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-10-2000, 11:37 AM   #1
knucklebuster
Registered Member

Post need opinions..heads vs. rollers

looking at a choice where to spend mmoney...upgrade to aftermarket heads or go with the roller cam/lifters/rockers. which seems loke the better idea if only picking one?

69 mustang, 351w, headers, 4v, c4 auto
knucklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 05:08 PM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

IMHO the only choice here is which heads to buy. I've driven cars set up both ways, and to me a good set of heads can't be beat.

I must follow that by saying that you really need to match the cam to the heads....just save your money and buy a good flat tappet hydraulic cam.

Like I said, I've tried cars with just the heads, and I've tried them with everything else but the heads, and for my $$$ I would have to buy the heads first. Be reasonable about how you plan on using the car, and don't go overboard with the cam or the heads unless you are planning on building a race car. Power is all about balance....matching parts.

Before you spend money on the engine, do you have dual exhaust and some lower rear gears?

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2000, 10:54 PM   #3
thunderbolt
Registered Member

I agree totally with 66. Rollers will make it last longer and free up some HP but I would guess you would be doing good to get 10 HP for a conversion. If this is the choice, go heads.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 05:03 PM   #4
Billgear
Registered Member

Heads and rollers...

Regards,
Billgear
Billgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 10:14 PM   #5
macx
Registered Member

Correcto! While it's true that you need to match components, I've read more than one engine expert that has maintained you can make better power with good heads and moderate cam than you can with poor heads and a big cam. Lots of guys have gone REAL fast with 5.0's with better heads and the stock cam. 5.8 heads are even bigger of a bottleneck than 5.0 heads because of the increased cubes relative to head flow. However, considering the stock 5.8 cam is REAL lo-po, a decent relatively inexpensive hydraulic flat tappet would get you quite a bit of what a full roller setup would, and should still let you get some decent heads. Ford has some real decent street cams for little $ - check www.oemfordparts.com, their svo section. The Nov issue of 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords has an 11 head comparo article - you can get some really decent aftermarket alum street heads for around a G, and the Ford GT-40X heads for less which are still quite good - you don't want to go hi buck exotic unless you're going racing. The new AFR 185 came out on top by a little for 351 size motors and had a good, wide torque band.If you can't find the article and want to read it, email me and I can scan and send it to you. macx@clas.net
macx is offline   Reply With Quote