MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2000, 02:31 AM   #1
84_GT350
Registered Member

Post New to the board

Hello all. I'm new to this board so bare with me here. I'm a regular in the late model board though. My question is actually about my girlfriend's car (a '66 with a 6 shooter). A week or so ago I was driving it on the highway at about 60 or so and the car just started slowing down....even with my foot on the pedal. It coasted off the road and was just dead. As much as Ihate to admit it....I'm stumped and I just don't know much about older Stangs. Can anyone guess as to the problem?
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2000, 03:14 PM   #2
Veloxity
Registered Member

Check the water level in the radiator - if it's low, drop the drainplug on the oilpan and see if it drains water. If so - headgasket at best/physical damage at worst.

If the fluids look fine, AND the car will at least turn over with a fresh battery, I'd check the fuel supply. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and point it into a coffee can. Turn the motor over and see if it pumps fuel. If not - check the filter and fuel level. I'm not sure about a 6 cylinder, but on an 8, the fuel pump is driven by the cam/timing chain. Occastionally the dog ear that holds the fuel pump rotator thingie can break - that or the cam bolt can come loose.

If the fuel supply seems fine, reconnect the fuel lines and spray a little carburetor starter fluid in the carb, step back, then try to start the car.

If still no-go, stick a timing light on the wire the connects the coil and distributor. If you see flashes from the timing light, try the #1 cylinder plug wire. If you see a light there, grab an old sparkplug and connect it to the #1 plug wire then lay it on a grounded surface (not painted) AWAY from any fuel. If you see spark, then I can't help ya out. *shrug*

Lemmie know the results of the above tests...

------------------
'66 Coupe - heavy mods
http://www.acsol.net/~intruder/66coupe.html
Veloxity is offline   Reply With Quote