MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-26-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
orlowted
Registered Member

Default New Door Shell does not fit???

Hello - Just removed my old door and put the Brand new door shell on without the glass and inner parts. Funny thing - It does not fit. I bolted it right up to the existing hinges. It has the proper clearance at both the front and back seams where it meets the fender and the quarter panel. It seems to line up along the fender all the way down. The area by where the door handle goes lines up nicely. Where the problem starts is as it moves down toward the rocker panel below the door handle. It starts to slowly move out away from the car. It is about an inch away from the rocker at the bottom. As you look from the back to the front along the bottom - it starts out far away from the rocker and slowly moves in toward the rocker as it gets closer to the front fender. Strangest thing I ever saw. The door is a New full shell and I took it out of the box myself. It is almost like the door is warped or twisted at the bottom. Looking at it - it seems perfectly straight and no visable signs of any damage. I can't see how I can adjust the hinges to compensate for this. I figure either the door is bad, my hinges are somehow bent or the car is really frame twisted. The quarter and fender line up with the rocker just fine and so does the door at the fender end. It's as you work back that it starts to seperate from the car. Any thoughts on this one. I am removing the fender to get better access to the attaching bolts to see if there is a way to adjust. I am replacing the fender anyway, but want to get the door in place first. Any help is appreciated.
TJ
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Kisner
Registered Member

Default Re: New Door Shell does not fit???

Welcome to the world of reproduction parts. Can't tell you how many I sent back or at least had to hand massage a little to get a good fit. Sounds like it's a warped door shell. I'd send it back and try another. With that much off, you won't be able to align it properly by adjusting the hinges. Had the exact same problem with my 68 trunk lid. Returned 2, but the 3rd one I kept still doesn't fit properly. After I got it as close as I could by adjusting the hinges, I ended up setting 2 concrete blocks on top of one corner for a week and it did manage to get it closer. Would've used an original one but couldn't find one that wasn't rusted out towards the back lip.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
orlowted
Registered Member

I am going to try the drivers side door tonight and see how bad that one is. If it is bad - they are both going back. I would have thought these parts would be somewhat easy to reproduce, but I guess you get what you pay for. At least the full quarter panels went on correctly - can't wait to get to the repo fenders next week???
I was thinking about a trunk lid too, but I may reconsider.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

NEVER, I say NEVER buy ANY japanise repo parts. They will NOT fit period.

If the fenders you ordered are japan parts CANCEL the order now, they will NOT fit either.

Most vedors that sell American parts will state so. Not sure on mexican parts, I have never used repo mexico stuff.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #5
orlowted
Registered Member

Yep - they are Japan repo door shells - so are the fenders.

Any thoughts on what brand and where to get a good fitting door??
Old 10-26-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I kinda hated to say that without leaving a answer/solution. I used to use Autokrafter somewhere in Va. C.J. Pony Parts come to mind. Try google search for American parts that you need.

Its crazy, I went through this many years ago and things still have not changed with japan parts.

Serious though, cancel the fenders. They will not line up either.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:11 AM   #7
orlowted
Registered Member

OK - got 2 new door shells and fenders - these are from Tiawan. They fit better - but still not perfect. I think with a little persuasion - the doors will be OK. The fenders fit great. What order should these go in. I remember in a previous post that the door should go on first, then all the gla - adjust the door once it is at full eight and then add the fender last. Does this sound right?