MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
hocbry30
Registered Member

Default New guy with a 65

Hello fellow Stang lovers,
I am new to this site which should be obvious by my lack of posts
And I have a few questions...
1. My 65 coupe is a 200 3spd, but I have a 289 I would like to bolt in. Will it fit to the 3spd? I know they came with them but is anything special required?
I also already know about the suspension and stuff which is why I have 66 parts car with no engine that was a v8.
2. My headlight buckets like most others is missing little tabs here and there but not too bad overall, but I was wondering is it possible to weld on this piece? I am not sure what kind of metal it is but it looks not too strong, white metal?
3.Anybody have a good link on replacing a quarter panel? Mine had a hit there and I would like to replace it rather than pull it out and fill with bondo.

Im am sure I have other questions but dont want to overwhelm anybody at the moment...
hocbry30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: New guy with a 65

Was the 289 backed by an auto or manual tranny?
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
hocbry30
Registered Member

It was backed by an auto
Old 08-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Generally speaking, the bellhousings from the transmissions should bolt up... however, I'm not sure what year Ford went from a 5 bolt to a 6 bolt transmission.

Now, if the bellhousing matches the block, and others may want to chime in here... but you will need a pilot bearing, a flywheel that matches the engine... a clutch set that matches the flywheel... and a new "Z" bar that will fit the small block... and a clutch fork as well and probably a dust boot.

The thing I'm not sure about is if the starter will fit, and of course if that don't fit, you'll need a whole new bellhousing anyway... so be sure to get a definitive answer on that before even attempting the swap.

As far as welding that bucket... magnet won't stick on it, so no chance of MIG'ing it... might be able to get it with a TIG.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #5
hocbry30
Registered Member

Thanks 'fan' that helps me get off in the right direction. I really appreciate your great response time.

-Bryan
Old 09-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
351coupe
Registered Member

yes, both the headlight buckets and rear things that line up with the bumper are white metal.
351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
bmxmon
Registered Member

im pretty sure that philly is right, about the 5 and 6 bolt bellhousings. I swaped to a v-8, and kept my 3spd that was originally with the car. Everything bolted up, even the starter. (i am still having troubles with that though, the headers heat soak it quickly) Check the number of teeth on your flywheel though! I kept all my original clutch linkage..... I had to "modify" two of them a bit, but it all worked out. (kinda ghetto, but it works, as im planning on swaping to cable cluth quickly) There are alot of good articles on replacing quarters, for just mustangs check mustangsandfords.com, as they have alot of good tech articles. Other mags have good ones too, but probably not for the mustang. I helped replace the quarters on my brother camaro, which was an experience. There is a major difference between reading something and actually doing something.