MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
Snuffalofogus
Registered Member

Default New here, i have some questions

hey guys, first off im 18, and am wanting a project car.

one of my neighbors down the street has a 65 289 mustang that hell sell to me for under 1k. i have a couple questions. is a 289 worth modding? (im a GM kid) from the sound of the engine it sounds like it has an aftermarket cam. the guy also has a set of headers that have yet to be installed on it.

also, what were the stock hp/tq numbers on the 289?
Snuffalofogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
nydon
Registered Member

for 1k anything is worth modifying! I'm assuming the body and frame are in top condition considering they weren't mentioned?
nydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
Snuffalofogus
Registered Member

body is fine except for driver rear quater panal, and interior is fugly. other than that it is fine.

all the body panals look fine, they just need a little alignment
Snuffalofogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
Jeff65
Registered Member

Default Re: New here, i have some questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Snuffalofogus
hey guys, first off im 18, and am wanting a project car.

one of my neighbors down the street has a 65 289 mustang that hell sell to me for under 1k. i have a couple questions. is a 289 worth modding? (im a GM kid) from the sound of the engine it sounds like it has an aftermarket cam. the guy also has a set of headers that have yet to be installed on it.

also, what were the stock hp/tq numbers on the 289?
Advantages:
a. Mustangs are numerous and so is parts support.
b. There are many aftermarket parts for it permitting various restomod approaches as well as classic car restoration.
c. Mustangs are beautifully styled automobiles.
Disadvantages:
d. Cars were built to be disposed of in a decade or so. They weren't designed to last 35 years. In restoring one, you have to fight entropy. The car started as iron oxide and it wants to return to being iron oxide. Your job is to prevent it from achievment of its primary directive!

Quoting hp/torque for an unknown brings a lot of flak. Chances are it produces about 200hp and 280ft-lbs torque at optimum rpm. That doesn't mean it can't produce more. With the right combination of rework and aftermarket parts 350hp and 320 ft-lbs of torque is possible.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote