MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-17-2002, 07:10 PM   #1
BoLasquis
Registered Member

Cool New Pony for Bo

I just acquired a stock 1966 Mustang Coupe with only 60,000 original miles on it. :-) It's a very cool car and it's in fantastic shape. It even has two-tone interior with the mustangs running across the tops of the seat. :-)

I love everything about it except the drum brakes on front. I'd like to convert it to aftermarket disks. So I'm looking for recommendations as to brands, suppliers, or whatever. I feel confident I can make the switch if I can get a complete kit from someplace but I don't know where to start to look.

Also, I think I'd like to upgrade the suspension bushings and maybe change out the control arms, tie rod ends, and so on, with good aftermarket perfromance stuff. Performance Suspension Components seems to have something up my alley (http://www.performancesuspension.com/fordfek.htm) but all I've seen is their advertising.

I'm open to any suggestions for improving the braking and handling without getting too carried away. I want to keep it as stock as possible but I plan to drive it to work every day and my route includes about 25 miles of mountain road.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16117_a.jpg (12.9 KB, 15 views)
BoLasquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:48 PM   #2
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

I can't help ya just wanted to say what a great find!!!! It even has the pony interior!!!!!!!! That's great! Can't wait to see more pictures of her!!!!!!!
See ya,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 06:39 AM   #3
BoLasquis
Registered Member

Well here ya go, then. Here's a pic of the interior. Is there a way to use some of these button to embed a pic in the post?

Bo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16117_e.jpg (17.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-18-2002, 08:04 AM   #4
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Why is it everytime someone finds an original in good shape such as you have, the first thing that comes to mind is "MODS?" Everytime someone buys a new car, they want to "MOD" it, and folks on the board say "What's your first Mod?".

I know, I know, I'll catch heck for the above statement.

Granted, the drum brakes are not as effective as discs, but those cars were driven millions of miles on mountain roads with drums and have survived. You just drive like you have common sense. I've owned old cars with mechanical brakes and have survived.

Maybe I'm just old-fasioned about keeping originals original and not butchering them up with a lot of "MODS". There aren't too many originals left, and those that are left, should be pampered and taken care of.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 09:08 AM   #5
BoLasquis
Registered Member

Cool

Ah, the age-old discussion. You won't catch heck from me for expressing your opinion. I may disagree but life would be pretty boring if we all thought alike.

I hear what you're saying; friend, and I have no intentions of butchering anything. That's a fairly subjective term, though, isn't it? I agree that this car is a purist's dream...I'm just not a purist. It's probably a package shelf liner away from being a number 2 as it sits right now and I intend to keep it very, very close to original. I intend to drive it hard every day, though, and I don't want to end up wearing a cow or a deer on the front bumper because I can't stop or decorating the bottom of some ravine somewhere because I couldn't recover from something. I don't really want to drive like I have common sense, I want to drive really fast. One way to go is to adjust my driving style to accommodate the car. I'm choosing to go the other way and mod the car to suit my driving style. I, too, have driven plenty of older cars with pathetically poor braking systems and I just don't have any desire to do it again.

But the only mods I'm looking to do are those few that will make it safer to drive the way I like to drive. And I'll keep the stock parts on the shelf if I ever decide to sell it. I'm building my racecar from a 1964 Falcon convertible. That's the car that will have the 600 hp EFI 427, 6-speed tranny, coil-over suspension, four-wheel Baer 14" power disk brakes, and so forth. I bought this pony so I'd have a Ford to drive while I'm getting that monster built. So I won't need to make this into a street racer to get my speed thrills.

I'll also toss out the observation that this car was on the market for well over a year. There was plenty of time for a collector to snatch it up and preserve it in it's pristine state. Since no purists stepped forward to preserve, pamper, and preserve it, I'm going to be driving it to work every day. And since I don't have any common sense, I need better brakes and handling.

I'm pretty much in philosophical agreement with you, Maroon, just not 100%. So please don't judge me too harshly.

Peace, baby.

Bo
Old 08-18-2002, 09:08 PM   #6
71grande
Registered Member

well said. We now have our first responsibly irresponsible person.

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

1993 Saturn SC2. The wifeys. fuzzy dice and all.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 10:00 PM   #7
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Looks nice man, congrats on her.

§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: