MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
gbeals
68-351W

Default New Radiator - Some Questions

Just got my new radiator, and a bunch of engine dress up items.. Gonna be a day and night endevor..

Some questions on the radiator. I have the new radiator installed, just need to hook up hoses. Should I flush my engine out with water before I do this? Is it as easy as turning on the engine and running water through the engine? Is there any steps I should be doing while filling up the radiator? Im using 50/50 mixture of distilled water, and coolant.

Should I be looking at anything else while im working with the radiator? I am replacing the fan and shroud as well.

1 last Q... My radiator is slightly different than the original - The two metal lines at the bottom of the radiator. One of them no longer lines up. Is it as easy as bending them to fit? Or should I replace the whole line? Is there a special tool to bend this type of line?

Hmmmm... lets see... I believe thats all of them... First time replacing my radiator, so Im just checking to be on the safe side.
gbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Default Re: New Radiator - Some Questions

Replace the thermostat. (Pointy end points toward radiator.) Do a search on (drilling holes in T-stat.) this is to help bleed air out.

The lines I assume your speaking of are the transmission cooling lines. If they are fairly close just bend them by hand. Make sure your fan blade doesn't eat them. If there way off you can buy some rubber hose and a adaptor for the radiator to hook the lines too, & hose clamps.

Take a little sandpaper around the new radiator hose area. Sometimes it can leak if its too slick between the hose and rad surface.

1 gallon of antifreeze,the rest water should do it. Let it get hot have someone hold the RPMS above idle for the last little bit of coolant to go in. You'll see when the T-stat opens.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
gbeals
68-351W

Great Info! Thanx... Im printing out your info as we speak.

I think I found a problem though.. The old radiator had a inlet on top left - and an outlet on lower right. My new radiator has both on left side. Attached is a pic... Can I go under and over with the bottom hose? Or do I need to exchange my radiator?

Yes, the transmission lines is what I was referring to... They will hook up, but it hits the belt, I would need to bend it around the belt. Small bend, so I'll do that by hand.

Also, took the valve covers off tonight, and saw all this grit type of substance inside. Is this bad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (103.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
Kisner
Registered Member

I could be wrong but I don't think you have the correct radiator. If you have a 351, I think you need a radiator with the outlet on the lower driver side. Might also explain why the transmission lines aren't quite lining up.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Agree with the above.

The lower radiator spout needs to be on the side of the water pump dump. Wrong radiator. That looks like a rad for a six cylinder car. Seems like the sixer's had both on one side.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
gbeals
68-351W

Thanks for the input guys.. I checked with the radiator company, and they said that was the correct rad. I was told to either run the hose under (seems weird to me) or to get a waterpump that spouted to the other side. Is that even an option? I guess Im going to try to run the hose under and see what happens there.

I even showed this to a guy at a shop, and he told me the radiator was correct, and to run the hose around... Quite odd if you ask me...
Old 04-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Unless your old one is not the original... your new one (like I have to tell you) should be an exact match.

Now...

Do flush the system. Do replace the thermostat. If the pump has any age or showing any signs of wear, replace it. Hoses (radiator or heater) cracked or just ugly? Replace. Ugly clamps? Replace.

One other thing... depending on how "stock" you want to keep this thing, maybe it might be a good time to look into a tranny cooler, to which I would bypass the radiator altogether.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #8
gbeals
68-351W

Well the Radiator place called, and said they made a mistake... SO I'll have my new CORRECT rad here on wed.! I think I will look into a tranny cooler. Good idea.

Question on the heater. My heater core is in the heater, but none of the duct work or the controls.. Should I have a working heater? Or is it alright to just have the core in place. I have no need for the heater if it is just to keep warm.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #9
COORS
Registered Member

another good idea is a thing called a "GANO FILTER" its a filter that goes on your upper hose that traps all that crap in the engine before it gets to your radiator and heater core............. just remember to check it frequently

http://store.cal-mustang.com/cm_able...TID=19&CM_SA=0
COORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I always think having a working heater is important, if for no other reason than a "Plan B" should you start running hot.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote