MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default New spindles and the lower ball joint

Hey, Im doing the Granada swap with the left side done. The right side lower ball joint is giving me some problems though. While trying to tighten the nut, after it hits a certain point it just spins. (the metal shaft that the nut goes onto) I just had an idea about trying to get the spindle on there like before I knocked it loose, maybe with some washers. If it works I will tell you all asap, otherwise, please send some advice!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: New spindles and the lower ball joint

I generally will try to add some pressure to keep it from spinning... like putting a pry bar on the lower control arm and pressing against the spindle (or another worthwhile point) while torquing the castle nut.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

well, my washer attempt was unsuccessful. It did however accomplish to strip the nut, maybe even the ball joint. I decided to call it a night, the misquitos came out. I will try that pry bar thing out, I got the other side on just by pressing down on it with my hand. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

If you're using Granada spindles with the early Mustang tie rod ends, then you have to have bushings in the spindle to make the tapered hole smaller. That's how my kit came. An alternative is to use outer Granada tie rod ends that match the Granada spindle holes. That's my take on it anyway.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

I wasnt having problems with my tierod ends, just the ball joint. I got it fixed, the prybar worked great!!! Im swapping to the granada outer tie rods, which are already to go. I just figured out That I still need a new idler arm and whatnot though. (I thought I only needed the pitman arm!!! This is my first time doing anything with suspension)
Old 08-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Glad I could help!
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
bmxmon
Registered Member

Hey rev, when you did the granada swap, did you take out those little steer stops that connect to the strut bar??? With them out, when i move the wheel, that tire would rub. With them in, it can only turn one way, then straight ahead. I do not have any of the steering stuff connected yet, (tie rods, connecting rod, ect) and was wondering if that would stop it, or it it relys on those things. They hit my brake hose that comes out of the calipers. (maybe its possible i have the brakes on backwards??) The way they are now, I can hook the hose up to the original spot they would have connected to the hard line. Thanks for any info.
----------------------------------
hey, I was also wondering whats the best way to go about getting the pitman arm off??? Thanks!

Last edited by bmxmon; 08-11-2005 at 10:40 PM..
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote