MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-28-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
KAMiN
Registered Member

Default Newbie here, Need direction/advice

First I want to say hi and give a little about myself

I’m a poor college student that has been captivated by muscle cars all my life, but has never wanted/cared to rebuild one until recently.

I drive a 94 Honda civic with a JDM b16 motor (NO IM NOT A RICER.) i am growing fed up with having all these little rice boys with altezzas and touring wings. (also have a turbo in the works for it. if turbonetics would stop being backordered... )

I’m looking for a 67-69 mustang coupe that I can work on as a project car. I’m somewhat confused with all these different types of engines.

My goals are a mean street/strip car that runs 12's.
I don’t want to invest 15,000$ into it (because I’m a poor college student)

So my main question is this, what engines fit in witch mustangs without major modification?

If anyone can give me some direction to website that would give me information too, that would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot guys!
Old 08-28-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
Jeff65
Registered Member

There's several engines to choose from that physically bolt in '67-'69 Mustangs. All Ford Windsor family engines bolt in directly with the right combination of parts, e.g. bell housing, transmission, etc.
These include 289, 302, 351w, 5.0L and derivitive engines such as a 347 (stroker 302). Note that a 5.0L is not the same engine as an early 302 although the block is quite similar. Basically the 5.0L is a roller cam version of the 302. These engines are considered small block Ford engines. In addition, there are other engines such as Boss 302, 351c, 390, 427, 428, 460 and some others that can also be supported. Boss 302 is a special engine developed in the late 1960's for racing purposes. It shares displacement with the other 302s but has significant head and deck height differences. 390 is an obsolete but popular vintage large block engine. I don't know much about the other big blocks. There is a general discussion of classic Ford engines on http://www.fomoco.com A good guide to modern Ford engines is found in Ford's Motorsport (Ford Racing) Catalog. You can get a copy of this catalog at the parts counter at Ford Dealers for $5 (worth the $5). You can also find it at Mustang parts vendors.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
KAMiN
Registered Member

Thanks for the help
will say a boss 302 bolt into ANY mustang chassy?
Old 08-29-2002, 12:54 AM   #4
Lonzo
Registered Member

What College u go to, Biggot U. Go ahead and be racist all u want but keep it off the post...
Lonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 01:01 AM   #5
KAMiN
Registered Member

WHAT?
Old 08-29-2002, 01:04 AM   #6
KAMiN
Registered Member

WHAT? what in the HELL are you talking about?
because i said riceboy? lol dude if you have never heard that term before i feel sorry for you
a riceboy is somebody who thinks touring wings, neon lights and body kits are "cool" and make the car fast
there is nothing racial behind it.
the entire "rice" thing came from people who said imports got good gas mileage so they were thought to run on "rice"
damn man calm down.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:22 AM   #7
Lonzo
Registered Member

ok if i took it wrong i am sorry. i live in hawaii and here that is a racist term. again if u meant somethin else im sorry. different areas have different slang i guess, no hard feelings...
Lonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Lonzo just to clear something up. Here when some one is dubed a "riceboy" it means that they are driving a ricer(altezzas, fart pipes, HUGE wing, nasty body kits). It doesn't matter if your black, white, asian, green, yellow, or metalic blue with ghost flames.......if you in a ricer your a riceboy. No a racist term at all.

KAMiN Forget the BOSS 302 it's ultra rare and not good on the street, it's designed for SCCA racing. And actully a 5.0 is just a 302 with a roller cam 99% of the parts interchange.

My suggestion would be to just go with a 302(late model if you want a roller cam). They are easy to find and parts are cheap. You can take a late model 302 from mid 14's stock to mid-low 12's for about 2500 bucks.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: