MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-01-2000, 06:57 PM   #1
Madmouse
Registered Member

Smile newbie looking at a 68 fastback

hey all,
I am new to mustang ownership, though I have been longing for one for many years... I was wondering if anyone can offer any tips on problem-areas to watch out for on a 68 fastback with a 289 4spd manual tranny??
all advice appreciated thx

------------------
--(,, ,,">
Madmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 02:02 AM   #2
Ron1
Registered Member

Sure...other then the engine, lift the carpeting and look in the rear footwells to check for rust and rot. Do the same in the front. If you can run water into the cowl in front of the windshield and check for water coming into the car. It will run down on your feet if you were sitting in the car. Run your hands along the bottom of both doors and look for rust and rot. Water would collect in the bottoms of the doors and you will see rust dimples on the bottom exterior. Open the trunk and look in the wells on the far left and right, water also collected here so check it with a flashlight or crawl under the car. Check under the battery and look at the frame rail and radiator support. In most cars the acid from the battery dripped down and ate away at the sheetmetal and steel frame rails. Check the headlamp buckets to make sure all the mounting tabs are intact. These are always broken and very expensive to replace. Open the doors and gently lift the doors by the handle to see if there is any up and down movement. If there is the hinges may be broken out. Other than that drive it and see ahow it shifts and if it smokes.

Ron
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2000, 11:01 AM   #3
Madmouse
Registered Member

thanks a lot that will help me out a lot...
you guys here are great
Madmouse is offline   Reply With Quote