MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default No Fire

OK, after months of reliability with my '67 daily driver I walked out of the office tonight and the engine turned over fine but would not fire. I checked all of the connections and everything seemed fine. I had just driven it a few hours earlier and everything worked great. I'm thinking perhaps the coil is bad - maybe wishful thinking because I do happen to have a new Pertronix Flamethrower II coil that I have not had time to install. I'll try that tomorrow morning but if that is not the culprit what should I check next? I do have a Pertronix electronic ignition that I've had for 6 years and I've often wondered how long they last. Could that be it? How can I tell? If it is, I'm thinking of getting a Pertronix Flame Thrower "Plug n Play" distributor that has the ignition module installed. Has anyone tried this? Recommendations please. HELP! E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: No Fire

No spark at all? Hook up a timing light to the coil wire and crank it... then try the spark plug wires, if it is throwing a light, you've got spark.

Check to make sure your coil wire didn't ground out on anything... especially if you are using a tach. I've had the wire ground out on the firewall hole that I had it run through and I couldn't get anything.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
Ingeneius
Sonic Blue 2005 Convertible GT

I would check the coil wire to the dist. Pull the wire out of the coil about 3/4" Crank the engine and look and see if the spark is their, it will jump to the wire, if no spark, there's your problem, the coil went caputs. You can also check it at the sparkplug end, pull the wire off the sparkplug and crank the engine, if no spark work backwards to the problem. Let us know
Old 11-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Elvis
Registered Member

Thanks for the help chaps. It was the coil and all is well with the world. By the way, I'm still curious about the Pertronix ignition module. Mine is at least 6 years old. How long can I expect it to last? If it is something that will fail soon I'll order a spare now rather than wait for one later. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
sixystyle
Registered Member

I would just about bet that it will last until it quits LOL! Sorry I just had to! I dont know much about petronix but most factory systems like that you can start to expect a problem after about 5 or 6 years.
sixystyle is offline   Reply With Quote