MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
adamrc29
Registered Member

Default not getting the power I thought I would get !

I started with a good 289 block with forged pistons a mild 440 lift cam, stock 68 289 heads, 4 barrel edelbrock intake with a 600 holley carb and points distributor with a crane xr-i module inside, I would say it was maybe putting 200 hp at the back wheels. well since then I made some changes I wanted to get a little more out of it so I changed the heads, cam , intake and carb , also a new timing chain . the heads are edelbrock e-street heads 1.90 int , 1.60 ext 1,500- 5,500 rpm range
the cam is comp cam 477- 510 lift ,219 int 231 ext 1,500 -6,000 rpm range ,edelbrock air gap intake , holley 650 dp 4777 carb , well I did every thing correctly I put every thing back on the way it came off, I broke the cam in properly timed the motor at 12 adv @800 rpm adjusted the carb till the motor ran its smoothest , well after everything was checked off I ran it for a while and the next day I drove it down the road and stepped into it , I was not impressed at all I swear it feels like I only gained 10 hp if that , and now it has a light miss at steady throttle it accelerates fine doesnt hesitate , the motor sounds like a monster but its not pushing the hp it should be I was atleast expecting to gain 50 to 65 more horses, but it runs like its under a load like im dragging a trailer behind it , im still running the distributor that was in it before with the crane xr-i in it all the wires are firing , and it doesnt feel much differant halfway to the floor as with the pedel to the floor ,like Im not getting 4 barrels but I have mec secondaries it, the back barrels are pumping I checked , I have a feeling its either a firing issues ,fuel or both , I havent checked the fuel pressure either, its getting fuel but i dont know whether its enough it spurted out pretty good when I took the line loose
I cant really tell if im running rich or lean, I had the carb set 4 turns out fuel/air , it doesn't feel like its putting out like it should , anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get it to its peak potential ? or what the problem could be ?
adamrc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: not getting the power I thought I would get !

Probably time to buy a carb tuning guide. What car is it in, I assume a mustang, but you never know. Compression?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
adamrc29
Registered Member

its a 67 mustang coupe ,c4 trans the compression is around 9.5 , this is my first dp mechanical secondary carb I have ever run , im use to 600 cfm vac-sec. , and I did set the float levels to were the fuel just trickles out the side the air fuel is set 4 turns out , I have a suspicion its the crane xr-i it ran close to what it should be running after I set the carb a little rich, it ran strong through the gears and a few minutes later I stepped into again around 3,000 rpm in low2 and it spuddered just like a rev limiter had kicked in I swapped off a set of wires too and it didnt make any differance , its like it performs good one minute and runs like shit the next .
adamrc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
longalan2
Registered Member

i would be willing to bet it is the crane. i ran into this problem myself on my 1970 cp. i broke down and purchased an msd ignition with distributer, and there was the power and reliabilty i thought i should have. i bought the 6al, msd blaster 3, and an msd distributor. no problems since. and holly has a tuning dvd out that is pretty good.
good luck!
longalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote