MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Oil Pan

Well, some months ago I purchased a Canton cadmium plated rear sump oil pan for my '67 with a 302. While I was having my new Edelbrock cam and heads installed I asked my nephew - a mechanic - to put the oil pan on as well. The Canton pan did not have a hole for the dip stick and the directions said that the original hole in the timing chain cover could not be used. My nephew drilled a hole for the dip stick in the side of the pan but I am unable to get an indication on the dip stick. I emailed the Canton tech services and asked if I could use the original hole for the dip stick. They said that there was not enough oil in the front of a rear sump pan for that. My original pan was a rear sump and it worked just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take off the oil pan but I also don't want to drive the car without knowing if there is any oil in the engine. Help! E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: Oil Pan

I'm confused. Didn't the '67 come with a front sump pan?

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Elvis
Registered Member

You're right. Sorry, I was having a dyslexic moment. It is a front sump so it seems to me that I should be able to use the original hole for the dip stick. I'm not sure why the instructions said to not use it. Anyway, I'll give it a try and let you know. E.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

You should be able to use the hole in the timing cover.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 AM   #5
goodyear1984
Registered Member

yea i have a 73 351 block same thing ft sump..thats a 7qt pan?did u add the correct amount of oil..kinda confusing what u were saying..let me know how you make out ...goodluck
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
WillyKJr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Well, some months ago I purchased a Canton cadmium plated rear sump oil pan for my '67 with a 302. While I was having my new Edelbrock cam and heads installed I asked my nephew - a mechanic - to put the oil pan on as well. The Canton pan did not have a hole for the dip stick and the directions said that the original hole in the timing chain cover could not be used. My nephew drilled a hole for the dip stick in the side of the pan but I am unable to get an indication on the dip stick. I emailed the Canton tech services and asked if I could use the original hole for the dip stick. They said that there was not enough oil in the front of a rear sump pan for that. My original pan was a rear sump and it worked just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take off the oil pan but I also don't want to drive the car without knowing if there is any oil in the engine. Help! E.

E. Me be confused. You stated that you have a new rear sump pan from Canton but want to use the port in the timing chain cover for the dipstick. That port is for a front sump (stock-style) pan. Now that you have a rear sump pan a dipstick in the stock position will not register in the shallow part (the front) of your new pan.

If the motor is healthy and you have an accurate pressure guage don't worry about a dipstick. Make sure you put the correct amount of oil in to begin with, a fresh motor won't burn it up, change it a couple times a year if necessary and run it.
WillyKJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
goodyear1984
Registered Member

are u serious? who the heck would run without a dip stick...thats just silly and only a hack would do that
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I'd have a dipstick. Some way, some how.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
Elvis
Registered Member

Alright, I really screwed up on this post! My car, of course, is a front sump. Somehow, the instructions I read left me with the understanding that the original hole in the timing chain cover could not be used. I now realize that the error was mine and that I can use the original hole. All is right with the world. Pleeeez, ignore this post. I will try to have my act together in the future. Mea culpa!! E.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Alright, I really screwed up on this post! My car, of course, is a front sump. Somehow, the instructions I read left me with the understanding that the original hole in the timing chain cover could not be used. I now realize that the error was mine and that I can use the original hole. All is right with the world. Pleeeez, ignore this post. I will try to have my act together in the future. Mea culpa!! E.
I thought we had all of this straightened out in the first 2 or 3 posts? No need for apologies Elvis.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote