MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-02-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

Default Weird Timing Idle Problem

After my head, cam, intake install the car's running like a beast, but I'm getting surging idle... though I know what's causing it... With the computer controling the timing the timing goes up when you give it throttle... and then when you let off and it comes to idle the timing stays advanced for a couple seconds and then drops down to the base setting... that's when my surging starts.

If I'm driving down the street and I come to stop light.. it'll down shift (AOD) and settle at like 900 or so... and then maybe 5 seconds later it'll start to drop and surge... it has to do with LOAD as well... if I put it in neutral it will idle fine... but in DRIVE it'll surge... then if I turn the wheel all the way to one side it'll start to die down and eventualy stall...

I blasted the IAB with some carb cleaner ... I was thinking I could take it off and apart and clean it really well and maybe even test it to see if its even working... but I dunno if that's the problem.. what shoudl I be looking for?
-as
Old 05-03-2003, 07:19 AM   #2
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Since you just reconnected your spout plug, try disconnecting the battery for 10 min do dump the learned computer settings. Then fire it back up and take for a 20 min drive. That may help. Otherwise do a search for idle surge, there are many issues related to HCI swaps.

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #3
eeh1025
Registered Member

Hey chuncy im having the same problem it seems that if you leave it run it will go to normal idle at about 900 to 1000 rpms then go up and down, and when you hit the gas it stays at live 2000 rpms, is that what yours is doing. mine idle also goes down when i turn the wheel. I was told that the TPS was set wrong and it stays up and down when it not susposed to that what a couple of people told me on the board.
Ernie
93 GT 351 to 393 stroker, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40X Turbo Swirl heads, holley 80mm throttle body, 255 fuel pump, 42 lb injector, JE pistons, Comp cam, comp lifters, comp pushrods, comp springs, crane Roller rockers. Trick flow Crank Shaft, comp Timing chain. MSD 7 series ignition, msd hvc2 coil, MSD timing adjust, MSD Pro billet Dis, Hooker long tube, Off road H pipe 1 chanber race flows, 4.10 gears, Vortech cooler and T-Trim with a 25lb boost AND LOTS MORE.
eeh1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 06:21 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

I raised my idle and it's not SURGING anymore, but I think the idle is still too high, it used to be a nice smooth 800 now it's closer to 1000, and it's alittle rough, though that could be my MAF and the CAM, but the STAGE 1 isnt supposed to be a rough cam, I dont care, once I give it gas it smoothes right out... my biggest issues now is it's sluggishness in adjusting the idle, if I'm in PARK and slap it into drive, the computer is supposed to compensate for that load but it takes mine like 2 seconds and sometimes it'll even stall out. I'm gussing it's the IDLE AIR BYPASS... but it worked fine before all of this, so who knows... maybe it's all crapped up from then initial starting that caused alot of bike fires through the intake... what does a new one cost?
-as