View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I'm troubleshooting the gauges on my car right now (If I ever get a chance to work on the car) .
First off do you have the stock idiot gauge cluster or the GT option?
Assuming that you have the GT option (I dont know exactly how differently the stock '65 piece was wired) Does your car have an IVR <instrument voltage regulator>on the back of the cluster? (On my 66 it is a 2 prong silver box about 1/2 the size of a zippo). This keeps the gauge from getting a full 12 volt charge, which will fry the gauge. Mine was already bypassed when I bought the car.

I would first make sure that the fuel gauge is hooked to the IVR, on my car the wire is green/black. The wiring should run from the loom to the IVR, from that out to the fuel/temp/oil gauges. Then each unit will have a color coded wire running to the sender.

If the gauge responded to a small charge it may just be the wiring in the loom, especially if the sender has been replaced already. If you want, PM me, and I'll forward what one of the other guys here sent me so far.

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote