MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-30-2002, 03:46 AM   #1
rustang girl
Registered Member

Unhappy Overheating

Ever since I bought my car over 6 months it has had overheating problems. We've changed a few things on it, and it has slowly improved, but it's still bad. I just took it to the shop this morning for a blown head gasket. I'm becoming good friends w/ the mechanice there. He owns a '67. He says he doesn't believe it's too bad, meaning the engine doesn't need to be rebuilt/replaced. When we first bought the car the guy put the cam shaft on backwards and broke the cover, we had the car for 3 days and the engine blew. So, we bought a rebuilt engine taken from a van, and we blew a head gasket, from overheating. Anyways, when I was doing my oil change I noticed there was water in the oil pan. BAD SIGN!!! hehe Goodness, this is turning out to be long, I must be rambling. = P So I called and he said to bring it in on Monday.

Back to the main topic, does anyone have any sugestions on what I could do?

Got a big radiator, I believe 6.
New water pump.
New tubes.

After that it was very happy. Then we got a short under the dash and we sudenly started having overheating probs again.

So, we ordered a new fan blade (7 blades) and a shroud. I could have ordered one that was beeper. I couldn't afford it though.

Anywho, I'm hoping after all that it stops.

If not, other than only driving at night, does anyone have any sugestions?

Thanks a lot, in advance.
http://ricehatersclub.com/
http://MechaPS.com/

Last edited by rustang girl; 07-30-2002 at 05:15 AM..
rustang girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:28 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Well, where to begin? It sounds like you had several problems contributing to your overheating problem, but it sounds like you have taken care of them. If it didn't have a fan shroud before, that will make a HUGE difference. Other than that, I don't see any other problems that haven't been covered, other than a new thermostat, but I'm sure a new one was installed with your rebuild. The only other part you might want to replace is the radiator cap. If it doesn't hold the pressure it's supposed to, it will lower the boiling point of the coolant/water, and permit the cooling system to boilover too soon. That reminds me, your coolant mixture is very important, too. I'm not far from you, and I know the kind of weather you are used to. That being said, you shouldn't use more than half of a gallon of coolant in your radiator, and the rest water. Coolant actually makes the engine run hotter. If you plan on driving up to the snow for a few nights next winter, increase it to full gallon of coolant just before you go up, but until then, your mixture in the cooling system should be almost entirely water.

Trust me (have I ever lied to you before???).

Take care,
~Chris

BTW, nice "interests".
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:47 AM   #3
rustang girl
Registered Member

K, fan shrouds funnel the air, I understand that. But what I don't understand is why they make such a difference.
I would have ordered one long ago, except I've been hoping to find one in a pick a part yard, no luck, so I ordered it on Sunday. Can't wait for it to get here. = )

The mechanic in Bakersfield who worked on it once told me I could also get a 5 or 6 bladed fan blade (I don't remember the number right now, I knew it when I ordered it hehe) He told me it would help w/ my overheating problem, which is my main concern, but he also said it will slow my car down. Take away power. How much of a difference do you think it'll make?

Yes, it has a new thermostat, and I've been told it's working.

I've been wondering about that. My radiator cap is too low. But everytime I talk to a mechanic, or Kregen, they tell me it's better to keep the low one. Something about if I put a stronger one on it won't let it blow steam. I think that's what they told me.

Oh, another question for you, why would the radiator water look like rust if it's a new radiator, and new engine? Only ran it for maybe a month before I noticed it wasn't right.

As for the water, that makes plenty sense. The fluid's there so it doesn't freeze. We don't often get freezing temperatures in LA. hehe I didn't know coolant makes an engine run hotter, but again, I guess it makes sence. It's supposed to keep things from freezing.

hehe Have you ever lied to me before? I'd have to say no. = P

Thanks a lot!!!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:50 AM   #4
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
BTW, nice "interests".
hehe Thanks.

What did u find most interesting about it? = P
Old 07-30-2002, 05:48 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by rustang girl
K, fan shrouds funnel the air, I understand that. But what I don't understand is why they make such a difference.
I would have ordered one long ago, except I've been hoping to find one in a pick a part yard, no luck, so I ordered it on Sunday. Can't wait for it to get here. = )
The fans job is to suck air through the radiator when the vehicle is not travelling fast enough to do it naturally, which is roughly at speeds below 20 mph. Simply putting a fan behind the radiator isn't enough by itself. The fan will draw in air from the point of least resistance, which means the majority of the air it will move will be from underneath the car, and it won't go through the radiator at all, or minimally at best. When installed correctly (with the fan half in and half out, if viewing it from the side), the shroud makes it so that the only place the fan can get any air is through the radiator. If it makes it any easier to understand, think of it reversed; if the fan was blowing forward, where would the air go? Without a shroud, it would hit the radiator, and deflect everywhere else, but with a shroud, it would have to go through the radiator. Air moving through the radiator takes the heat with it, and allows the newly cooled water to re-enter the engine so that it can transfer some more of the heat from the block to itself, and go back to the radiator to do it all over again.

Quote:
The mechanic in Bakersfield who worked on it once told me I could also get a 5 or 6 bladed fan blade (I don't remember the number right now, I knew it when I ordered it hehe) He told me it would help w/ my overheating problem, which is my main concern, but he also said it will slow my car down. Take away power. How much of a difference do you think it'll make?
Don't worry about it right now. If it still overheats, something else is wrong. You also could have him install what's called a "pusher fan" in front of the radiator. It's an electric fan that is thermostatically controlled, and only comes on when you get too hot.

Quote:
Yes, it has a new thermostat, and I've been told it's working.
When you get it back, start it up and let it idle. Every few minutes, feel the upper radiator hose with your hand. It will slowly get warm, then rather suddenly get hot. That means your t-stat is opening. This should happen within 10 minutes of idling. If it doesn't, have someone install a new 180 degree t-stat, preferably bought at Ford (their t-stats are MUCH better than Pep Boys).

Quote:
I've been wondering about that. My radiator cap is too low. But everytime I talk to a mechanic, or Kregen, they tell me it's better to keep the low one. Something about if I put a stronger one on it won't let it blow steam. I think that's what they told me.
Go to an auto parts store, and buy a Stant LeverVent(something like that) 16 pound radiator cap. It will have a red lever on top of it to release the pressure without burning your hands. Put it on, and ignore anyone that tells you differently.

Quote:
Oh, another question for you, why would the radiator water look like rust if it's a new radiator, and new engine? Only ran it for maybe a month before I noticed it wasn't right.
Because they either didn't flush out the block, or because the heater was turned on.

Quote:
hehe Have you ever lied to me before? I'd have to say no. = P
For the record, I still haven't.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-30-2002, 05:54 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Quote:

hehe Thanks.

What did u find most interesting about it? = P
ALL of them.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-30-2002, 06:00 AM   #7
PKRWUD

One more thing... where in L.A.?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-30-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:
The fans job is to suck air through the radiator when the vehicle is not travelling fast enough to do it naturally, which is roughly at speeds below 20 mph. Simply putting a fan behind the radiator isn't enough by itself. The fan will draw in air from the point of least resistance, which means the majority of the air it will move will be from underneath the car, and it won't go through the radiator at all, or minimally at best. When installed correctly (with the fan half in and half out, if viewing it from the side), the shroud makes it so that the only place the fan can get any air is through the radiator. If it makes it any easier to understand, think of it reversed; if the fan was blowing forward, where would the air go? Without a shroud, it would hit the radiator, and deflect everywhere else, but with a shroud, it would have to go through the radiator. Air moving through the radiator takes the heat with it, and allows the newly cooled water to re-enter the engine so that it can transfer some more of the heat from the block to itself, and go back to the radiator to do it all over again.
K, I think I'm understanding. Makes sence. = )

One more thing regarding the shroud. You're telling me it's mainly for slower speeds, like 20mph. I only over heats going say 80+mph. I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but it over heats on "The Grape Vine". If you haven't heard of it, it's the freeway you'd take to get from LA to Bakersfield and back. It has some VERY large hills. The first one, leaving Bakersfield is killer. That's where we generally overheat, going up it. If we make it to the top before it overheats we're good the rest of the way home. The downhills cool it down. We generally don't make it, and we go @ 2am or so.

Aywho, what I was wondering, sine you say it's for more like 20mph, and I'm doing more like 70-80 on the hills it will still help?

BTW, I think UPS dropped it off this morning. I haven't opened the box yet, I'll go now. = )

Shroud looks rather small. Blades were backordered, so not here yet.
Quote:
Don't worry about it right now. If it still overheats, something else is wrong. You also could have him install what's called a "pusher fan" in front of the radiator. It's an electric fan that is thermostatically controlled, and only comes on when you get too hot.
hmmmmmm. Ok, I'll look into that.

Technically I could install blades myself.
I've done it before, and I could do it again.
I helped rebuild an engine once. Actually, my fiance I did it and the guy told us what to do.

So even if I do sound like an idiot who doesn't know what she's doing, I do know quite a bit.
Quote:
When you get it back, start it up and let it idle. Every few minutes, feel the upper radiator hose with your hand. It will slowly get warm, then rather suddenly get hot. That means your t-stat is opening. This should happen within 10 minutes of idling. If it doesn't, have someone install a new 180 degree t-stat, preferably bought at Ford (their t-stats are MUCH better than Pep Boys).
K, I'll do that.

Quote:
Go to an auto parts store, and buy a Stant LeverVent(something like that) 16 pound radiator cap. It will have a red lever on top of it to release the pressure without burning your hands. Put it on, and ignore anyone that tells you differently.
hehe k
Quote:
Because they either didn't flush out the block, or because the heater was turned on.
No heater. Turns out it wasn't a "new" radiator. Just rebuild and painted. It wasn't like that in the beginning. We put some no rust stuff into it.
Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD For the record, I still haven't.

That's good to hear, thanks!
Quote:
Take care,
~Chris
Thanks, you too! = )
Old 07-30-2002, 03:45 PM   #9
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:

ALL of them.
hehe ok = P
Old 07-30-2002, 03:50 PM   #10
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:

ALL of them.
I believe about an hour (+/-) from you.

Toluca Lake, next to Burbank and North Hollywood. About a mile from Universal Studios.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:00 PM   #11
PKRWUD

My Dad used to be a minister in Sherman Oaks, and one of the families in the church that were good friends, live in Toluca Lake (right down the street from Bob Hope). We used to go there every year for a Christmas party (I lived in Van Nuys from '78~'85).

I know the Grapevine well. You still need the fan shroud, but you would be wise to save up a few bucks and invest in a NEW, oversized radiator. Your "rebuilt" one sucks, no offense.

Everything else still stands, though (get a new cap, etc.).

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:20 PM   #12
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD My Dad used to be a minister in Sherman Oaks, and one of the families in the church that were good friends, live in Toluca Lake (right down the street from Bob Hope). We used to go there every year for a Christmas party (I lived in Van Nuys from '78~'85).
I've been told that his house is near here, I just don't know where it is. = P
That's cool about your dad, and the parties!

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD I know the Grapevine well.
Don't it suck. hehe
Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD You still need the fan shroud,
K, it's going on as soon as I get a chance. Car's in shop for the head gasket, eletctrical, and alternator bolt probs. Should get it back by Thursday.
I don't know how to put it on, maybe I should take it to the shop and have them do it.
Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD but you would be wise to save up a few bucks and invest in a NEW, oversized radiator.
hmmmmm, maybe I will then. Not working right now, so it'll have to wait.
Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD Your "rebuilt" one sucks, no offense.
hehe no problem.
Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD Everything else still stands, though (get a new cap, etc.).
K
Quote:
Take care,
~Chris
Thanks, you too!
Thanks a lot for your help, you've been great!
I don't sound like too much of an idiot, do I?
Old 07-31-2002, 04:23 AM   #13
PKRWUD

Quote:
I don't sound like too much of an idiot, do I?
Not at all. Besides, an idiot never would have listed reading as an interest.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-31-2002, 04:27 AM   #14
PKRWUD

Quote:
I believe about an hour (+/-) from you.
You (and your fiance) should come out to Ventura Raceway and watch us race sometime! We're racing down in Perris (near San Diego) this weekend, but we'll be back in Ventura August 31. Check out my website to see what I'm talking about.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-31-2002, 04:47 AM   #15
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:

Not at all. Besides, an idiot never would have listed reading as an interest.

Take care,
~Chris
hehe K, good to hear. Cuz I was wondering. I try my best not to be too much of an idiot. I don't wanna be one of those chicks that know nothing about their car. And I guess, I'm already not that. I know a little, but not enough. Everytime I think I know something, I realize that I just have an idea of it. I'm always picking up Earle's car magazines and reading them. What I really enjoy reading though, is sci-fi books. Or ummm, I'm not sure what they're called, boks w/ whitches, and dragons. errr I can't think of the word. It's on the tip of my toung.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:50 AM   #16
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:

You (and your fiance) should come out to Ventura Raceway and watch us race sometime! We're racing down in Perris (near San Diego) this weekend, but we'll be back in Ventura August 31. Check out my website to see what I'm talking about.

Take care,
~Chris
hmmmm, maybe we'll do that. Only if my car's running though. I have plans the weekend before that and this weekend. Other than that my weekends are free. I haven't gone to a race in a while. The last race I went to was just street racing in Bakersfield and that was a while ago.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:52 AM   #17
PKRWUD

Quote:
errr I can't think of the word. It's on the tip of my toung.
Sounds like fantasy to me, but that's a whole different story. LOL.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-31-2002, 04:55 AM   #18
PKRWUD

Quote:
hmmmm, maybe we'll do that. Only if my car's running though. I have plans the weekend before that and this weekend. Other than that my weekends are free. I haven't gone to a race in a while. The last race I went to was just street racing in Bakersfield and that was a while ago.
Hehehe, we race a 700 hp Sprint car on a 1/5th mile dirt oval. If you have a fast internet connection, and can view Quicktime movies, click on the link in my sig that says Sprint Car Movie (or whatever it says). It's a little vid I put together of racing clips. It's pretty cool, and just over 1 minute long.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 07-31-2002, 04:55 AM   #19
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:

Sounds like fantasy to me, but that's a whole different story. LOL.

Take care,
~Chris
Fantasy, hmmm, yeah. hehe IF you're into that kind of reading you should check out "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan. I loved it. So did most of my friends. I believe everyone in my group of friends in Bakersfield has owned or at least read one of the books. They're great!!! They're kinda slow though.

Anyways.

God, I'm bored!!!
Old 07-31-2002, 04:57 AM   #20
PKRWUD

Quote:
Fantasy, hmmm, yeah. hehe IF you're into that kind of reading you should check out "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan. I loved it. So did most of my friends. I believe everyone in my group of friends in Bakersfield has owned or at least read one of the books. They're great!!! They're kinda slow though.

Anyways.
Oh... reading... yeah, okay. I'll remember that one.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!