MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
STR864
Registered Member

Default Overheating??

Grrrr!! well work ended up screwing me up with my motor swap..had to work all weekend and the weather wasn't even that tight!! RAIN RAIN RAIN!! but anywayz....my six is overheating and I don't know why....it's an almost new radiator and I took the thermostat out of it so I get even flow in and out...but it just now started overheating.....belt is tight and I can't turn the fan by hand....any ideas?!?!
STR864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
Jeff65
Registered Member

Taking the thermostat out is a bad idea and could be the cause of your overheating. The thermostat regulates the flow and controls the coolant by slowing it down. Circulating it too fast results in no heat pick up and hence no cooling. Use recommended thermostat in 180-195 degree temperature range.

Assuming you've been there done that, then look for:

a. Lower radiator hose being soft and not held in full dimension by internal spring. If lower hose is soft, it can collapse at rpm cutting off coolant flow.

b. Fan too far away from radiator. The correct fan spacer should be used to get the fan close to the radiator. If its spaced out too far it won't be effective.

c. No shroud. If you have a/c, then a shroud is almost a necessity to get good airflow across the radiator and condenser.

d. If you've added a/c then you may need a fan with more cfm capacity.

e. Bad water pump. Start cold, open radiator cap and monitor upper coolant looking into radiator. Should look stationary with no bubbles until thermostat opens. Then clear indication of coolant circulating when thermostat opens. If you see poor or little circulation, chances are you have a water pump with a corroded impeller.

Other problems one could encounter: blown head gasket, previous use of stop leak in radiator, incorrect radiator cap.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote