MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-1999, 07:34 PM   #1
Outlaw
Registered Member

Default Overheating

Has anybody used a Griffin aluminum radiator? If so, did you see a noticable difference in temperature drop. My 289 runs up to 230 when going up hills on warm days. I have a 3 core radiator with a high flow electric fan. Had the radiator checked out and put a high flow 180 thermostat in. Timing,fuel mixture, and compression are fine. Can't think of anything else to do except put an aluminum radiator. Will a aluminum radiator dissapate heat as well as I've learned?

[This message has been edited by Outlaw (edited 04-19-99).]
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-1999, 10:17 PM   #2
macgyver
Registered Member

Try taking your thermostat out all together. I have the feeling that you put in a bad one. (It is actually a failry common event to buy a thermostat that is no good, about 20%). During the summer I think your car should run fine without one. It will certainly run cooler. Your temp is definetly WAY TO HIGH...
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-1999, 12:37 AM   #3
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Taking out the thermostat is probably a good way to check it but don't run very long without one. It will take the engine longer to warm up and your fuel economy and engine deposits will suffer.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-1999, 04:19 PM   #4
macgyver
Registered Member

HOw does taking the thermostat out cut fuel economy and/or increase engine deposits? Maybe I will put mine back in.
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-1999, 11:05 PM   #5
Kcode351
Registered Member

Your thermostat is made to keep your engine at optimum running temp. Its kind of like the choke you can run without it, but you run rough when the engine is cold and will take a lot longer to warm up. I live in Texas where summer heat is a big issue. It's just my opinion, but I think my car and truck do their best with a high volume low temp thermostat. I see no reason to hold my engine all the way up to 185-190 during normal running conditions and climb from that point when the engine is under load. I use a 160 degre thermostat in my truck. I found it at AUTOZONE. It was cheap and easy to mess with. I'm sure you already flushed your system, but if you have a awsome cooling system with a new thermostat thats still full of hot water, then look for ways to lower oil temp. A oil cooler can do a lot keep engine temp down. It is also cheaper than a new griffin. The other thought I had is if you have long tube headers wrap them. Long tubes throw a lot of heat under your hood. The wrap realy helps, but the headers tend to rust slightly sooner, and the wrap will viod their waranty. Personaly I am willing to do it to improve the dependability of my vehicle.
Kcode351 is offline   Reply With Quote