MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Paint & Body Work

OK. I got the engine rebuilt on my '67 289/302 and it is running great. I also had the MAGNA Performance Suspension, Steering and Spring & Handling Kits installed and the ride is much improved. I think that mechanically it is now pretty much where I want it to be. The next hurdle is appearance. It is a pretty car but it has a couple of small surface rust issues that need to be dealt with. Additionally, it has had some less than stellar body work done by a previous owner - front fender. It is not blatant but I know that the flaws are there. I want to get some of the body work taken care of and have the car painted with a clear coat. I do not want a show car although I want it to look nice - it is my daily driver. So, what is reasonable? What should I expect to pay for a professional job? Any thoughts? E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Ron1
Registered Member

For a good paint job, some minor body work, if they do the jambs, trunk etc. $2500-3000.00 is a fair price. If I was you I would remove all the parts you can. Valances, head lamp buckets, etc. and then deliver it so the pieces can be done seperately. then re assemble it when you get the car back. will save some money and look a lot better.

Ron
9.74 @ 137 w/ N2O
www.fastspecialties.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
induction
The Brit!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron1
For a good paint job, some minor body work, if they do the jambs, trunk etc. $2500-3000.00 is a fair price. If I was you I would remove all the parts you can. Valances, head lamp buckets, etc. and then deliver it so the pieces can be done seperately. then re assemble it when you get the car back. will save some money and look a lot better.

Ron
As for things like the headlamp buckets and lower valance ( front and rear) I didn't remove them, insted I seperated them from the car causing a larger gap so the paint wouldnt 'mend' them by placing several washers on the screws that attached them to the body between the mounting points . ( this leaves at least an 1/8 inch gap for the paint to run doun. After I got the car back from the paint shop I waited a week or two then removed the washers and had a nice detailed looking job. We also removed the door handles all trim , babges, molding, trunk locks ect. The nite before taking her to the shop we masked off just adout everything we could just to mage sure we were happy wit it.
The paint cost us about $400.00 with no body work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my 65 coupe 1.jpg (51.5 KB, 25 views)
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote