MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
shark7000
Registered Member

Default Part interchange?? 289/5.0??Heads??

I was reading here and there and was reading about how so many parts are interchangeable between the 289 and 5.0. My 289 is missing on a cylinder, since it doesn't burn oil, I'm thinking a valve job. I was thinking of keeping the 289. I have the 5.0 w/EFI to put in, but I've been reading about all the stuff I have to do to do the swap. Then I thought of something. How about the 5.0 heads on the 289. That will give me the roller rockers on the older 289. Then, I'm guessing, I need to swap the cam too. I know you have to have a roller cam for roller rockers. Would the push rods still work? Are they still the same length? Then use the carb setup. I have a Holley that needs some repair, but I should work good when it's done. It will still look pretty much stock, of course, I will be putting the T5 tranny in. It's already not stock. It came with the 3 but has a 4 speed. I will throw the headers in that came with the 88 5.0. This should help some on performance with the rollers. Right? Then I could sell my neighbor the 5.0 block, that he needs for his 83 Mustang.
The EFI swap was looking a bit difficult. I'm sure I could do it, but if I decided to go back to stock, I would have to repair the hole in the firewall for the computer connection. Plus other mods to be reversed. I believe the guy I bought the car from didn't use lead additive when fueling. I had this happen when a friend borrowed my truck, 77 Dodge Power Wagon, which was an original lead burner. He burned the exhaust valves, and I had to have a valve job done. I did have the hardened valve seats put it, but I think the head shop just gave me some heads that where laying around in the shop. The heads I got back had air injector holes that I had to plug up to stop the exhaust leaking and making lots of noise. They where not there before.
shark7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
shark7000
Registered Member

Default Re: Part interchange?? 289/5.0??Heads??

I've been reading about how 289 heads having a lower volume, causing higher compression. The newer 5.0 heads will give a lower compression, and the GT40 heads are, of course, the best, with higher compression and better flow, resulting in more ponies to the wheels. So, I'm guessing it's a better idea to not put the 88 heads on my 67 289. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

Yeah I was going to say that if they do bolt up (Which im pretty sure they should, I dont see why they wouldnt, though I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't post) they will have a lower C/R than the old heads. Look at the casting numbers in the heads and you should be able to google the combustion chamber size and compare.
I still think it would be best to just drop the 5.0 in there. You could still run a carb, just swap out the intakes. The 5.0 will have a roller cam and revised firing order. You would also have to install a fuel pump eccentric. I would imagine the 289 cam cover would swap over to the 5.0.

Mustangs Plus - Tech Articles - Project EFI GT (Page 1)

That is a pretty good article on swapping over to EFI.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
shark7000
Registered Member

That link is the one I had already found. I found it with a google search, so it must must be fairly popular these days. This one looks easier than the whole 5.0 swap. They forgot to put new frame supports, since the EFI is in the way of the original supports. I found another link with example of some brackets/supports that this guy made himself, then had it chromed. It looks really good. If I could just find that now. .................................................. ....................
.................................................. ........................................
Okay, I found it.
http://jr.stangnet.com/images/DSC00564.jpg
Old 05-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

That does look really good. If I were in your shoes though I would get them powder coated. Has to be quite a bit cheaper than chrome. I'm not a huge fan of chrome though, but that one you found looks good.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
shark7000
Registered Member

No chrome sounds better on the wallet. But how much does powder coating cost? I've never had it done. I've seen pictures of part coated and they look good. I'll have to check on that.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
66fastback
Registered Member

The 88 heads (E7's) will bolt right on, BUT you will definitely lose compression (and power and mileage) making that swap straight up on a 289.

You don't NEED a roller cam to run those heads, or any head with "roller rockers", but you would probably need to check the push rod length once installed. It is possible that you would need a different length. The push rods from the 5.0 WILL NOT WORK in the 289. The 5.0 roller blocks have taller lifter bores for the roller lifters, and therefore shorter push rods.

The Headers on the 5.0 will not fit on the 67 either. The late model cars don't have the shock towers in the way like the old cars, so they have a lot more room to bend the tubes, and they take advantage of that room. I know, I have a nice set of Mac headers that came on the 5.0 that will not fit on my car.

How do you know you have a dead cylinder? I know you said you have a "miss". Have you ran a compression test yet? The pistons and rings on those 289's are usually pretty good (nice long rod to stroke ratio), but like you said, the valves are a different deal. I almost always had trouble with leaking guides and/or worn seats.

I'd start by checking for good spark at all the plugs, and if that checks out, do a compression test. If it's just heads, its your call as to whether you just rebuild the 289 heads or if you swap out the engine for the 5.0.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
jovyarcher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark7000 View Post
No chrome sounds better on the wallet. But how much does powder coating cost? I've never had it done. I've seen pictures of part coated and they look good. I'll have to check on that.
Thanks,
Mark
There are some powder coating that cost less (I saw one on ebay I think) but if you want it to be done by car mods it will definitely cost more... seriously powder coating the car makes the ride look good.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
goodyear1984
Registered Member

screw it,crack your wallet open and build a 500hp 347
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
langaiwo
Registered Member

any good idea for this???
langaiwo is offline   Reply With Quote