MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-10-2000, 05:41 AM   #1
jayinpa
Registered Member

Question Please Help

I have a 66 coupe and I would like to put a big block in it. How can I fit one in? Any one done this before? Know where I can find out?
JAY
jayinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 09:45 AM   #2
Moxie
Registered Member

It will require removing the shock towers, and making a lot of modifications to the motormounts, drivetrain, etc. It has been done, but it is a lot of work. A better route might be to stroke a 351W to 427, and install that. It will fit right in.

------------------
Moxie Racing

Moderator, TealNet Industry News forum
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 11:17 AM   #3
Jaydee
Registered Member

Moxie is absolutely correct - this is a lot of work to do correctly. I have seen only one street driven conversion in my area (a 66 fastback) with a 427 in it and virtually every mechanical, suspension and driveline component in the car was extensively massaged or custom built in order to make it work and drive properly - don't know what the actual investment in this car is, but in looking at the finished product it had to be at least 20 to 25k into just this part of the car. A 351 into a 65/66 is a lot easier to drop into the early model (narrower) engine bay, will provide much better overall balance and obviously can make huge power if desired.
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 11:28 AM   #4
tom351

I say go with a 351 based small block too. You can get aluminum heads and intake much cheaper for a small block and make the same power. Not to mention the weight difference.

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W 415 hp, Trick Flow Alum. Heads, C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.