MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-17-2001, 02:41 PM   #1
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

Question Possible Rear End Upgrades?

I have a stock 2.83 8" in my 64 1/2 stang and its got to go. Problem is im working against a budget. I would like to swap out the complete rear for a junkyard 9" with 3.55 and limited slip or trac lock but I don't know what is compatible. I would also like to explore other options but to be honest I don't know what they are. I have already contacted Currie and it seems their prices are outragiously high. No way in hell I am shelling out $2000 for a rear end. Can I do anything with my stock housing?
Black-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 04:39 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

I have a few 9" rear ends if that is what your looking for. I don't think I have any L type gears.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 05:07 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Sunshine, are you sure you really need and want a 9"? They are a good bit heavier affecting unsprung weight that affects handling. An 8" should be OK up to about 300 HP. You can get From Currie an 8" 3 rd member with their TSD (Torque Sensing Differential) in any gear ratio you want for $600 or so plus shipping. That's what I did 4 yrs. ago. The TSD is only for occasional hard use according to Currie. If you're planning on lots of abuse, I'd consider a Power Trax locking differential (more$$$). Sounds to me like the 8" ought to be srong enough for your combo.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 08:42 PM   #4
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

No im not sure I "need" a 9" I just need an affordable upgrade and I doubt I will find any 8" rear ends with 3.55 gears and locking or limited slip for that matter. On the other hand I pressume there are millions of them (9") on salvage yard ford trucks my problem is I don't know which trucks to look for or if its even possible. I would prefer to use my stock housing and just upgrade the gears but your scaring me with your 300 hp talk. Im already in the nieghborhood of 300 hp and I have a set of trick heads in my closset just itching to go on. I would hate to spend money on my stock 8" if its just going to break. I drive VERY hard everywhere I go no stop all day every day and I love it problem is I have 2.83 gears 1 wheel burn and a manual trans so as you can imagine I am spinning everywhere I go.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:24 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

If you're already around 300 hp and going for more, you probably will need a 9", especially if you drive it hard with the 4 speed manual. Junk yards all have the cross over books telling what other model and year parts will fit a given application. Inventory is usually computerized from one yard to another. They can probably find a used 9" 3.55 Traction-Lock somewhere in your state. The problem with used and unrebuilt is you won't know how much wear it has on it. You might end up having to get it rebuilt in a short time anyway. I bet you can find a suitable used 9" though just by perusing the salvage yards and asking them to look for one.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 03-18-2001, 02:15 AM   #6
Power
Registered Member

I would be interested in what you did to your car to produce 300 ponies. I have a 66 that is dying to be bred with new blood and would like to see some ideas from someone with another oldie.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 09:54 AM   #7
red
Registered Member

Cool

Here is some info. that will be useful in your search. I think all truck and van 9" rears are much wider than the 9" used in the '65 Shelbys.

-JON

[This message has been edited by red (edited 03-18-2001).]
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 02:18 PM   #8
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

Thanks Red that should prove to be usefull. If I am correct all I need to do is find one of these carriers WDY-HH 3.40:1 8" WDY-S 3.40:1 8" and if I can locate one with an "L" in the ratio I will have a trac lock. Am wrong to assume that all these carriers are interchangeable?
Old 03-18-2001, 02:27 PM   #9
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

I wish I could tell you. I bought my car already done or mostly done. The Motor has been somewhat of a mystery to me. GRC in SoCal tells me it pushes 278 rear wheel poneys. All I know for sure is that it has a Weiand Intake, 600 CFM edelbroc carb, Ford Motor Sport long tube headers, Mallory electronic Ignition, The car lopes so I assume it has a nice cam in it, and it appears to have been rebuilt recently. The heads seem to be stock and one of them is cracked. I have a pair of stock core 289 PowerHeads waiting to be installed which according to PowerHeads will add quite a bit of power.

Cars I have beet
New Mustang GT's stock I presume (all day long)
New Camaros
a Honda S2000
and a New Celica

I have been beet by
A stock Formula
and a fixed up 80's 5.0

Old 03-18-2001, 05:30 PM   #10
Billgear
Registered Member

Some of the Mustang II's had limited slip units in them. They also had better ratio's.
These were 8" unit's. I have a 8" rear
with quite a bit of power, i don't think it will ever be a problem unless I run slicks.

Regards,
BillGear www.289mustang.com

------------------
Billgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 05:43 PM   #11
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

Love the WebSite. How much did that engine run you? and what year Mustang II should I yank the carrier out of?
Old 03-18-2001, 06:00 PM   #12
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

I just called the local salvage yard and they told me the only 8" rearends I could use on my car is out of a 64 to 66 v8 comet falcon or Mustang. Im fairly certain they don't know what they are talking about. Could you give me the number to a salvage yard that you would reccomend?
Old 03-18-2001, 08:19 PM   #13
Fostang
Registered Member

Actually I think they are fairly correct. From what I know is that 64 1/2 - 66 mustangs had shorter wheel bases.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:13 PM   #14
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

So am I wrong in my assumption that all 8" third members are the same? If so I am way off track. I thought I could pull a third member off any car with an 8" rearend the only thing I was concerned with is getting one with 3.40-1 or 3.55-1 gears and possible Limited slip or Trac loc.

[This message has been edited by Black-Sunshine (edited 03-18-2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 12:36 AM   #15
Fostang
Registered Member

Well for a moment I thought you were talking on the housing it self. As for the third member yes of course they're the same. They will bolt right up.

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Old 03-19-2001, 07:16 PM   #16
Rev
Registered Member

I think they all the 8" will bolt up, but the carriers in some (later model I believe) are ribbed and so offer more ridgity. That's what I got from Currie. They also offer one with 4 spider gears instead of just 2. It sounds like Sunshine has lots of power and drives pretty hard. There's also some other upgrades from Currie. They have all gear ratios available as well. I'm still wondering if an 8" will hold up to Sunshine's power and usage.

Rev

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:23 PM   #17
MrWesson22
Registered Member

Black Sunshine,
I bought a detroit locker for my 8" but haven't installed it and have now decided to convert to a 9", so if you decide to stick with an 8" and dont ever want to worry about the dreaded one wheel peel, let me know. I'd be willing to part with it for a fair price. I know summit has them new for $450. This one is used with 6K miles on it (guy I bought it from - I've never installed it). I'd take half that 450 for it. You can email me at mrwesson2@hotmail.com or IM me screen name MrWesson22. Whatever you do, enjoy that stang!

------------------
Neal

69 stang
351C/4sp
MrWesson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 09:20 AM   #18
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

MrWesson: Thanks for the reply. I will keep that in mind when shopping for a used rearend. If I can't find a trac loc or limited slip than I will get in touch with you.