MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
tbar12
Registered Member

Default Power Off the Line

I have a 66’ Mustang with a 351 Cleveland 4 bolt main engine and an Edelbrock 750 carb. It has the original C4 automatic transmission and a new drive train. Everything works and runs well and the transmission does not slip at all. However, when I am at a stop and transmission is in Drive, the tires don’t spin when I jump on the accelerator. It gradually builds speed and I get the “pull” in roughly third gear. What I would like is to have the “pull” off the line.

Are there adjustments I can make?

I am installing a shifter kit this weekend hoping the modulator replacement will help. I also do not know about the gear ratio in the back end. I don’t know if it is original or has been replaced. Any ideas to reach this performance would be helpful.

Thanks

Tony
tbar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: Power Off the Line

If you know what rpms you are cruising at around 55 mph on down the road, that could help us to give u a general guess on the gears you have. Chances are, if the car is sluggish out of the whole, the gears are probably stock.

Not to be overly simple here, but have you checked things like timing and the like? A cleaveland in the 66? Did they cut the shock towers to get that in there?
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
tbar12
Registered Member

Unfortunately, I don't know the rpms yet but I am guessing the gears are stock. I have checked the timing and engine is tight.

My father-in-law and I put the Cleveland in and fortunately did not have to cut the shock towers. The key was attaching the exhaust manifolds after the engine was in place. However, there is not much play between the manifolds and towers.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
ralph s
Registered Member

shoehorn??? ya know i got to playn with the squirters,pump cams and got alot off the line. mabey some carb adjustments?
ralph s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
tbar12
Registered Member

Shoehorn is a great analogy and right on the money! I purchased a new Edelbrock 750 carb and have not read enough to know if it needs to be adjusted or where to make my adjustments. Guess I have some homework to do!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
davids
Registered Member

what cam, intake, compression ratio, headers, etc... all of these will have an impact on out of the hole performance. Lower gearing is the single biggest improvement that can be made for off the line acceleration. your engine pulling in third gear sounds like it has good top end and when you take off you may be below the power band of the motor.
Just some food for thought!
davids is offline   Reply With Quote