MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
My65Stang
Registered Member

Default Powertrax Lock-Right -vs- No-Slip

I'm thinking of upgrading my 8" from an open diff. to a locking.

Is anyone out there using a Powertrax unit? I've read that the Lock-Right makes a clicking sound when going around corners. If this is true, how bad is it? I mean, is it worth the extra $200 to buy the No-Slip?

Is the cheaper one more for off-road trucks (who probably don't care about a little noise), and the better one for street use?

I could use some help.

Edit: I found this in the Powertrax Application Guide

What is the difference between the No-Slip Traction System and the Lock-Right Locker?
While both products offer maximum traction, full wheel differentiation, and easy installation, each product has
features and benefits that meet the needs of different customers. The No-Slip Traction System uses SynTRAC
technology and is the latest design in traction adding differentials. It provides the maximum traction of a locking
differential combined with the smooth and quiet operation of a limited-slip device. The Lock-Right Locker is our
original product line that offers extreme value in a traction-adding differential. The Lock-Right provides maximum
traction, but a light clicking noise can be heard when turning as the Lock-Right gears allow for wheel differentiation.
On some vehicles the engine noise will overcome the clicking noise.

Last edited by My65Stang; 03-18-2008 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: New Info
My65Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Bob
"Old School Gearhead"

Default Re: Powertrax Lock-Right -vs- No-Slip

They will make a little noise when unlocking when cornering. Can't tell you about the new one. The tried and true Detroit Lockers made noise too, but they were almost bullet proof for a street / strip car. If your car is mainly driven on the street, a clutch style limited slip diff is the way to go. Currie makes a Traction Loc differential for the 8" that works real well.

'85 GT "Red302" 12.96@107.1 N/A ... Sprayin' for the 11's
2003 Torch Red Mach1
'68 Fastback ...331 Stroker "Restomod"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
jwboner
Registered Member

I used to run a Powertrax unit in my 9" but the same unit was supposed to be able to fit into either 9 or 8.
Anyways, I would not recommend anything powertrax makes. When cornering the two hubs inside disengage and re-engage erratically and caused me to have more than a few spin outs. I took the unit apart and found broken springs that dampen the loading on the pinion shafts. I put it all back together and ran for a hundred or so miles and had the same problem again so I replaced with a posi. Saving to get a Tru trak from Eaton.
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Rhauf
Registered Member

lock right lockers tend to wear out pretty fast when used other than off-road only as that is their intended purpose. I have a detroit locker in my bronco and it's tough, but if you accelerate around a corner it will lock the rear end... so in a car this might cause a spin out during hard driving, i'd go the posi route.