MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2000, 05:31 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Post Professional radiator maintainance, anyone else have to do it?

Seems like every couple of years about this time of year, I have to remove my 4-row radiator from my '66. I take it to a radiator shop and have it "rodded out". This is because the top most orifices are all clogged up with junk from the cooling system. I know that the system is minimal for my engine (see sig), but this seems awfully frequent. Only costs $60.00 with me doing removal/reinstall. Just wondered if anyone else had to do this on weekend drivers?

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, windage
tray, TRW flat tops, 351W
heads,pocket ported, 268
CC hydraulic cam, R tip
R's, Edelbrock Performer,
600 CFM Holley vac. secs.,
Mallory Unilite, coil, fuel
pump, Tri-Y headers, 2 1/2 "
custom pipes, 3 chamber
Flows, stock C-4, 3.25
Currie built 8" rear,
March under drive pulleys,
13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2000, 09:40 AM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Are you running enough coolant in the car [50/50]????

What is clogging the radiatior??? What does the shop say about it??

Doesn't sound right to me. I have a '68 and don't have that problem.

Maybe you should knock out the freeze plugs and really flush out everything good and clean.

Let me know, I'm interested in results

------------------
Dave Pitt
68 FB, 289
Dual AFB's
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2000, 11:55 AM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

I think when the engine was built 5 yrs/25000 mile ago, They just didn't flush out the block and heads well enough after the hot tank. The stuff in there is little pieces of rust/scale, possibly casting flash that's flaked off. Yes, I run plenty of coolant and change that every year. Is it possible to remove/install freeze plugs with the engine in the car? I've seen advertised a cooling system filter that splices into the upper radiator hose. Looks like a big in-line fuel filter. Anyone ever used these? Right now my radiator seems to be acting as a filter. Hopefully this radiator job will be the last for a while.

Rev
Old 07-16-2000, 01:40 PM   #4
69fastback
IRAQ VET

i never really had any problems with my old copper radiator before i got the car put together i had it flushed and all that but there where no problems after that.
Now i have a aluminum one from giffin so i will see how that works out

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2000, 02:11 PM   #5
thunderbolt
Registered Member

That sounds a bit frequent. I would have the system flushed and then used distilled water with the antifreeze. I don't know where you are but here we have really hard water and so distilling the water will take the minerals out which I am convinced will keep the radiator cleaner.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2000, 05:25 PM   #6
Billgear
Registered Member

I think your talking about a Gano filter, this sounds like a good option for you. How
well does the 4 core cool your car? I'm wondering because I'm in the process of installing a new engine. The motor will be
build a little more then yours, just wondering if the 4 core is going to cut it!

Regards
Billgear www.289mustang.com
Billgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2000, 07:05 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

I also us an electric auxillary pusher fan in front of the radiator that I turn on for hot days. Also use a Flowkooler Al high flow water pump. When the radiator is not occluded, the system is adequate, even on hot days (runs 195-200 F).

Rev
Old 07-16-2000, 08:49 PM   #8
Gearhead999
Registered Member

With the starter down and maybe the crossmember out you should be able to knock most of the freezplugs out. I'm sure headers won't help though.

I haven't been under my 68 in a few months and don't remember. I do know that I can get the oil pan off pretty easy though, and that is a 7 1/2 gt. aluminum "T" pan. I'm sure you can get some of the plugs out.

The filter sounds like an OK idea. I don't know anyone using one yet. I'd be interested to hear the results.

My motor is .060 over with a pusher fan, when needed and A/C. Here in FL I run 200-210. No crap in the radiator though.

------------------
Dave Pitt
68 FB, 289
Dual AFB's
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2000, 10:36 AM   #9
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

A friend of mine has one of those Gano filters. He got it through Mustangs Unlimited and he hasn't had any problems since. I don't think they are that expensive (don't have the catalog in front of me) so it might be worth getting one just to see what it'll trap. At any rate, a little filtration is better than none. I don't believe it impeded any water flow either.

just addin' to the pot.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote