MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
mytbison
Registered Member

Default Question about odd symptom on 67 200

My engine has been running really rough lately, worse all the time. New cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, checked timing, rebuilt carb. Everything is where it's supposed to be and wires are not mixed up. Engine rebuilt 7 years ago. Replaced points with Ignitor ignition module about 10 years ago. Here's the thing I can't figure out...If I pull the plug wires off 3 and 4 and just lay them on the plug just barely touching, the car springs to life and sounds like it should. I was told this is due to the coil being required to produce more voltage when the plug wire was barely making contact with the plug. Same auto parts pro told me that type of coil doesn't get weak, it either works or it doesn't, which I am not so sure about. Also, asked about symptoms of the ignition module going bad from the dealer and was told they had not heard of any failing. The car runs worse in the cold and is missing in regular intervals. Thanks a lot for any help, brought this car back to life 17 years ago and it had been running great for years, now I really miss it. Thanks.
mytbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
donutbandit
Registered Member

Default Re: Question about odd symptom on 67 200

I'd suspect the ignitor module first. Put a set of points in it and see what happens. Also, check the coil to dizzy wire.
donutbandit is offline   Reply With Quote