MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2003, 08:45 PM   #1
diablopony
Registered Member

Question Power Steering Hose

I recently replaced the the PS pressure hose on my 68 and the only one I could find was 32" long. This leaves about 12" excess after you route it through the hose bracket. I have it coiled and tied on my fenderwell, but it looks like crap.

Anyone know where you can find a replacement hose that matches the original length (about 20") or know what to do with the excess hose?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Kisner
Registered Member

Same problem with my 68. First thing I ever did was put all the power steering components back on after the previous owner had taken them all off and threw them away. Never could find hoses the right length. Also, the original bracket would not fit back on so I had to make one similar to the original to work. I ended up looping the hose into a circle and down to the control valve. The other hose was too long also and I have the excess under the engine (for now). Doesn't look that bad, isn't visible, and isn't touching anything that'll burn it in two. I haven't driven it or tested the setup since I just recently finished restoring it. "Hopefully," I won't have any problems. If you ever find correct length hoses, definitely let me know the source.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 02:34 AM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I get my hoses custom made at a local hydraulic shop. It comes out cheaper, and better quaility too.

They make me A/C , power steering and brake lines.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

"I get my hoses custom made at a local hydraulic shop. It comes out cheaper, and better quaility too.

They make me A/C , power steering and brake lines."

DITTO
Old 01-12-2003, 10:17 AM   #5
diablopony
Registered Member

Thanks for the hydraulic shop thought. That is great advice!

I made a few custom brackets to get this hose to work, but I'll go the hydraulic shop route on the next leak. Which shouldn't be too far in the future. I think I've replaced about every PS component at least once and I still get leaks about every 3 or 4 months.

I'd really like to switch to Total Control R&P, but Mustangs Plus has priced that out of reach. Does anyone know of another Co. that makes affordable R&P? I liked the Total Control product because it sounded like an easy conversion. I've heard the Mustang II swaps require some welding and modifying.

Thanks for the input.