MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #1
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Radiator Overflow

Interesting problem here (or maybe not). I took the car out in the 90 degree weather last week and when I returned home and shut the car down, about 1/2 cup of fluid came out of the radiator overflow hose. I then took of the radiator cap and the fluid level was below the fins. Now a few weeks ago - this was full. I guess my question is why was it spitting fluid out if it was not at capacity. when I filled the radiator, I did it with the car running and then checked it several times after. My thermostat is 160 degree and in new. I tested it in a pot of water before installing it. Has anyone installed a overflow tank in their classic and is this a needed thing? This may not be a problem...it just seems weird.
TJ
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Maybe a wrong, or bad radiator cap.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Default Right on

Could be a weak cap. I always put in about a 15 psi cap. I think it's always a good idea to install an overflow tank. You can get one at PepBoys for $15-20 and they are easy to install. The engine acts as a heat sink after turning it off. My temp guage always goes to H after shutting off while running at 180 F while driving. That's almost guaranteed to over pressure even a good cap. The overflow tank will of course capture the overflow and then let it get sucked back in as the engine cools down. The drag strips do require an overflow tank so as to try to keep fluids off the track.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 05-28-2004 at 05:35 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Go to the junk yard and get one out of a 86 ish full size Ford/Merc. They have washer and coolant built into one small plastic resivor.

As Rev said, it will suck it back when it cools.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Default I actually did that

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
Go to the junk yard and get one out of a 86 ish full size Ford/Merc. They have washer and coolant built into one small plastic resivor.

As Rev said, it will suck it back when it cools.
I did that the first time. It was from an 80's T-Bird. The problem was that the plastic actually deteriorares over time and becomes brittle. Anyway I had to replace it with a new one due to cracks and leaks. That's when I just bought a PepBoy special for about the same price as the junk yard piece. It has lasted for about 5 years now.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 05-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #6
orlowted
Registered Member

Default What about the cap?

Never considered the radiator cap as a possible culprit. I think the one on the radiator now has been there through many engines? My engine does the same after I shut it off...Runs at about 140-160 while driving, then once I shut it down it jumps up. I will look at caps this weekend, but about the overflow...will that look right on a classic stang. Where have you put it in...on the firewall? Right now - I have the radiator as stock (3 row aftermarket) and the runoff hose just fastened along the radiator and then hanging below. Where should I mount the overflow? I do want to race next summer after the paint is on, so I think I will opt for Both - new cap and overflow tank. How big should the tank be?

Thanks for the help....

TJ
Old 05-28-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Default A quart or two?

I put mine where the windshield washer bag used to be (left side inner fender apron). I really don't use a winshield washer and my car is so far from original that I don't care much about "original" appearance as long as it looks decent.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 05-28-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Thanks for all the help

I think I will keep the washer bag where it is (just for the looks) and see if I can install a overflow tank in the lower left part of the engine bay. I don't know why I want to keep the stock look of the car since the interior is completely custom, but something inside me says to keep the engine bay original (funny - even though it is not). Just one messed up mustang, I guess...But a Mustang is a Mustang in Roots and always will be. God Bless the Sport!. I will search for a Qt. container and see what I can work out. Thanks for the great advise....as always, It has moved another porject into the works.

One of these days I am going to post pics of the car so you can see what mess I have, But it runs great...just looks like a pig right now.

TJ
Old 05-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

Default Make it to please yourself

Make it so that it pleases you. No excuses needed. I made mine the way I thought it should have been done to begin with from Ford. Noboby else may like it, but I love mine and that's all that counts for me. Make yours to please you and only you. That's my advice.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 05-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Good advise

That is some great advise to all Mustang Enthuiests. It's not really important what other people think about your Mustang - Some will love it and some will hate it.

Rev - Thanks - I will look into doing the overflow in a way that will not stand out in the engine compartment.

TJ

Last edited by orlowted; 05-29-2004 at 07:40 AM..
Old 05-31-2004, 09:36 AM   #11
Kisner
Registered Member

Mine does the same thing every once in a while. I elected to not use an overflow tank since I restored it 99% concours. The one I've seen that I liked the best I believe came from Summit. It was an aluminum tube that was black and mounted to the fan shroud. It was hardly noticeable. They also have chrome ones if you like that look.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM   #12
orlowted
Registered Member

Default I will keep looking

Kisner - thanks for the tip. I went to the local parts stores this weekend and no one had one. I will check out summit. I also went to a Mustang event with ton's of classic cars...None had an overflow tank. I would just let it go since it only happens once in a while, But Rev did mention that one is needed for the track.

TJ