MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-07-2002, 09:32 PM   #1
Kisner
Registered Member

Default Rear Brake Line Removal

Has anyone ever removed their rear brake lines? Mine are clogged on my 68 coupe and I can't figure out how to remove the rear line that runs across the rear axle. The left hand side appears easy - only held in place under one metal clip on the axle. However, the one running to the rear passenger wheel is affixed to the rear axle in 3 locations (one on the left of the axle, one in the center, and one on the right). The one in the middle appears to just be a metal clip that the line would pop out of. However, the other two appear to be welded on both sides. I know they couldn't slide through because the nuts wouldn't fit. Any ideas how you remove these things?

Also, for the 3 clips under the floor pan for the line running from the distribution block to the rear axle. Do these just pinch together for removal? Looks like 2 prongs coming out of each clip.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Kisner,
The brake lines running along the axle should only be held by those clips. Even those one's that look like they are welded sould not be. Clean them good and take another look, the one's on my car looked like what you are talking about but I used a pick and worked the clip open. If they are welded than you have no choice but to cut them, just do it as close to the axle as possible so you can use them again.

As far as the clips in the floor pan you are correct squeeze them together and they should pull out. When you go to install, stick the clip in the hole and spread the prongs back out.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:31 PM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Figured it out this past weekend when I crawled under the car and decided to get dirty. After I cleaned all the dirt and gunk off, I realized 3 of the clips holding the brake line to the rear axle were welded on one end but not the other. Took flat-head screw driver and bent them back far enough for lines to come out. The other bracket (along with the rear rubber brake hose bracket) was actually held on by the rear axle vent hose nut. It came out easy to. Hopefully, new lines will arrive today and I begin putting it all back together. Sure hope they're all bent to correct specifications.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: