MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-24-2003, 01:56 PM   #1
davey_fl
Registered Member

Default 1988 5.0 rear wheel bearings

OK Guys I'm looking for a bit of advice please

I'm changed my front wheel bearings many times but I've never done the back ones. They're starting to get noisy so I want to change them. I think I need to pull the axles - can someone give me some advice as to how to change these rear bearings? Do I need to open the diff to get the axles out? Will I need to take them to a shop to have the bearings pressed on/off? etc?

THanks very much

Davey_fl
davey_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
stang_racer20
Registered Member

i would get a manual if i were you, cause it would take forever otherwise. yes the c-clips inside the diff have to be removed for the axles to come out. also yes the inner bearings are pressed on so a shop is a great idea to begin with.
stang_racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
davey_fl
Registered Member

thanks for the reply. You mean something like a Haynes manual?

Thx

Davey
Old 09-25-2003, 01:45 PM   #4
Simi Stang

Default Chiltons

Yes...but get a Chiltons. Haynes manuals suck in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:12 PM   #5
billheis
Registered Member

Hey Davey, if you don't mind getting a little dirty I think you can probably do it . Pull the rear cover and drain the oil. pull out the the little 5/16 head bolt and push the cross pin out. AsSimi said get a Chilton and it will have pics. With your tires and brake drums (I'm assuming you got a Fox body) push the axles in and then you can remove the c-clip. Then just slide the axles out and youll see the bearings. With a slide hammer with bearing puller on the end (you can borrow or rent from local auto parts) just pull them out . Then with large socket just tap the new ones in. Make sure to check the axles for grooves. If there there it will be time for new axle. Hope this helps
Bill
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
billheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #6
davey_fl
Registered Member

Hey guys thanks very much for the advice - I ordered a chilton but it'll be a few days before it gets here, so I'm going to go ahead on Bill's advice. I really don't think I'll have a problem doing it - dirt isn't an issue for me If I have any problems I'll post back here. Thanks guys!!!!

p.s. hey bill, I'm not sure what a Fox body is, but it's all stock. 300,000km and still running very very strong

Davey

88 5.0LX Mustang
Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
billheis
Registered Member

Hey Davey, a fox is 79 to 93 and if I would have looked at the top of your post I would have noticed you said 88, Its been a long day. email me if you get into any problems billheis@yahoo.com. What part of FL are you from I'm in the jax metroplex area
Bill
90 Convertable 5.0 LX, ported E7s w/ THumper valve job, TFS street, FR 65mm TB, B cam w/1.7 cobra rockers, kirban AFPR, Mac CAI, Mac Headers, off road h, 3 chamber flows, Crane ign. box, 3:73s, Art Carr AOD & 2600 converter
Old 09-25-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
davey_fl
Registered Member

Hey thanks for enlightening me Bill! I've been out of the Mustang scene for awhile and just getting back into it. I'm the original owner of this one but it's been parked for a few years now while I drove my F150. I'm actually from Fort Worth, the _FL on my tag is Flyer - I fly remote RC planes, 40% Scale

Thanks for the offer of help and the email, man the net is great!

Have you had any major probs with your 1990?

Davey
Old 09-25-2003, 09:02 PM   #9
billheis
Registered Member

Other than general service stuff its been great. Get this, about two years ago I was looking for a car for my 17 year old daughter, she wanted a 94 up, so I started on auto trader and came across the 90 vert which I now have but the price seemed to low. Kept looking with not much luck for her car but one month later the 90 was still for sale. I called and it turned to be older couple and his car was Linc SC and hers the 90 vert. THey both had just retired so they only need one car. So they put the 90 up for sale. The wild thing about it he had just had the car painted and the top replaced. God is good! I had a friend (he's a body guy) look at the paint and he said its a least a $2500 paint job! Just today I finally put 373 gear in it (theyve been on my bench for over 6 months). I wish I would have taken a day off earler, a definite improvement. Anyway I love the car (even my wife likes it, specially w. top down. I ramble enoungh. If you get stuck just holler.
Bill