MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-09-2001, 09:07 PM   #1
MonsterTrosity
Registered Member

Question '95 3.8 is dieing... What to replace it with???

Ok, hear is the deal. I'm sure most of you have heard about the whole 3.8l headgasket problem that was fixed in the 96+ models. My engine is still functional, but it knocks like a steam train going down hill on a 45 degree slope, and I know it won't last forever. My options are to replace it with another stock 3.8 from the same year (unwise), replace it from a later year or try to find a 4.6 or 5.0 or modified motor.

I definately would like more power, but I want to go the easieast/quickest rout possible. If I can get away with dropping a stock 5.0 or 4.6 in it with paying less than $3k, then I would do that. Otherwise, I am stuck going with stock. What is the possibility of dropping a supercharged 3.8l ThunderBird motor? How different of a motor is it, and how similar are the components? Any experienced input is a plus. I will be having this professionally installed.

Thank you,

------------------
MonsterTrosity
MonsterTrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 09:33 PM   #2
Extremestang

I feel your pain with this, but honestly....it would be easier to replace the motor with another v6 from a 97 or 98. I had blown a head gasket on my 95 twice, the second one after the recall work was done so i said screw it. Thought about going to a 5.0 but the cost and items to do it would take to much time for me. So i found a motor from a wrecked 97, (hit from behind of course.) Complete motor less then a grand. The only canges i had to make were the motor mounts(95 and 97 are different), water pump(95 and 97 housings are different) and 02 sensors(callibrated differently). Anyway,if you go with a 5.0 your looking at replacing the computer, the a/c lines have to be relocated....ect...there's alot to list. Between the cost of the motor, the items to make it flow together and the labor to install it will cost half the cost of your car. If you have time and the money, go for it, but if you need your car right away, get another 3.8 in it. Its cheaper and easier. I had the new motor in in three days. Two days tuning, back on the road! As to you question regarding a SC, you could use your new 3.8 motor with a set of sc heads and port and polish your upper and lower intakes. Throw in a cam and some roller rokers and for all those mods done, it would still be cheaper then trying to get a 5.0 in there. This is my opinion of your situation. But ultimately your decicion on what to do. Hope i have been of some help to ya.
Extremestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 09:42 PM   #3
MonsterTrosity
Registered Member

Cool

BTW, I got my car for $2,750. That's right, it is not missing a zero. I would not be in under what it's worth if I spent 3k on it, so I am willing to do it to get the HP I want. I would only drop a v8 if I could find an experienced mechanic, but I will be driving it daily, so I would like it to be reliable.

Anyone else getting 26mpg with their v6? I don't know about that, but that just seams wrong. My Ford Probe only had a 2.2l 4 banger, and it only got 22-23mpg. Of course, the Ford Probe was twice as fast as my mustang was, and it was stock!

------------------
MonsterTrosity
MonsterTrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 01:16 PM   #4
ronny50
Registered Member

Might be worth your time to see what www.stangparts.com has for engines.

------------------
1990 GT 6k Original miles!!
Ripper,Pullies,73 MM C&l Mass Air,9mm Wires,Piaa Headlights,MAC Cold Air (Fender), Bassani X-pipe
ronny50 is offline   Reply With Quote