MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
Max Mabazza
Registered Member

Default Is replacing the fuel tank a single man job?

Hi everyone. I recently recieved a new fuel tank and sending unit for my '72 mustang because every 20 miles or so I have to get out of my car and clean the fuel filter due to rust coming in from the rusty old fuel tank and my gas gauge is stuck on empty no matter how much gas I have. I was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing these parts. If so, would you call it a 1-3 man job? Or would you suggest I had this done by a mechanic? I would like to be able to do this myself, but I don't know where to begin. Will someone help me out here? Thanks!
Max Mabazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: Is replacing the fuel tank a single man job?

I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago... easily a 1 man job.

The worst part is the weight of the tank. I made that real easy by drilling a series of 1/4" holes in the tank which were progressively lower (I didn't want to drill a hole at the bottom of the tank right away as I wasn't sure exactly how much gas was in there and chasing for a plug or another container as a flamable liquid is pouring all over the place isn't my idea of intelligence) and drained the gas completely before dropping the tank.

I also made sure to coat the strap bolts with penetrating oil... and while the tank was out, took the opportunity to clean up the bottom of the trunk floor and put a coat of undercoating on it. I also replaced the fuel line and clamps...

As always, wear safety glasses to keep the debris from falling into your eyes...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Elvis
Registered Member

I replaced my drop-in tank on my '67 recently and although it would have been useful to have an extra hand, I was able to manage it alone. Not difficult at all. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Max Mabazza
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys.
Max Mabazza is offline   Reply With Quote