MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2000, 10:48 AM   #1
Maryland GT
Registered Member

Post Restore or sell?

Early '66 GT convertible, special order paint (T-bird dark torquoise), black pony interior, Black top, original owner, no power, 70,000 miles, interior near perfect, motor strong, beautiful car but everything is 70% to 85% and I would want it 100%. Where should I go for restoration, or should I just sell it. I learned to drive in this car! Thanks, Greg. Bethesda, Maryland.
gtalcott@erols.com
Maryland GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2000, 11:18 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

It seems like kind of a no brainer to me on the "should I sell it" question. It sounds like you have some emotional ties to this car. The chances of you finding another Stang in similar shape that you are sure of the history on could be a challenge. My vote is for keeping it. As far as the resto goes, check with your local car clubs. Most enthusiasts will be happy to share their sources. If you ask around enough, you should start to see a pattern of places to consider and places to avoid. Don't rule out the Ford dealership in your area either. Most times they get ragged on for employees that don't seem to know cars as well as the owners do, but sometimes you can get lucky. Case in point - my local Ford dealer here in town will be doing all the body and paint work on my 66 when I get to that point. The body guys there are the most straightforward and knowledgable in town and don't mind working on classic cars. Basically just hit the pavement and start asking around.

Sorry for the length but I hope this helps.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator, Firestone Firehawk 215/60R14's

96 GT Convertible
Bosch Platinum +4 plugs, B&M Ripper, Borla Side exhaust,
K&N, removed air silencer, Tokico struts/ shocks, BF Goodrich Comp T/A 245/50 16's
Next up: 3:73's, high flow H-Pipe

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2000, 05:51 PM   #3
red
Registered Member

Talking

I bet if you give it up, eventually you would regret it!

Take a look at the Restoration Supplies & Services section on Tom Schmidt's page.

-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2000, 06:16 AM   #4
brockjoe
Registered Member

keep it, sounds like a colectable for one for 2 i'd give my left n*t if i could get back the gtx (440)my dad showed me how to drive with!
as far as where to go with it be carful my mitris got hit with a board and bent up the place it went to HAD a good rep and said they knew what to do with classics. long story short no straiting just adjusted as best was possible now i'm trying to get my $$ back as they don't deserve a second chance.
good luck
joe
brockjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2000, 10:21 AM   #5
John Z
Registered Member

Cool

Definitely sounds like a keeper to me. Where to restore depends on where you live, funds available and your expectations. The standard advice is to join a local mustang club to get the scoup on local shops. There is the Western MD club in Frederic if that is close to Potomac?
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: