MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-24-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
budaj
Registered Member

Default Restoring a 65 Mustang Conv for street use

I am in the process of rebuilding a 65 conv for my daughter. Any suggestions, or comments on the best way to do it myself? I've already gotten the suggestion to have my head examined. Now I'm looking for constructive comments.
Thanks.
budaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:11 AM   #2
fordkid68
Registered Member

I am sure you could do it I mean I am 16 and I do all the work on my car (66 coupe) all I can say is do your homework. read up on what you want to do next to the mustang before you do it and you should be able to do it no problem. and don't be afraid to ask A lot of questions. there are alot of talented people on this board.

but we do need more information like what are you going to do first on the car. and so on.

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 03:12 PM   #3
mikoc
Registered Member

Default 65 rehab

I too have a couple of daughters and a 65 Mustang convertible. My advise to you is keep the Mustang for yourself and let your daughter take the station wagon. Seriously, the negative sides are the vehicle will never be as safe or dependable as cars are today. We drove them when we were kids because they fit the time, but by today's standards they are dangerous. Keep the steering column in mind, no air bags. The car may not even have seat belts as they were and option in 65. And the gas tanks have a tendency to be a problem. I love my Mustang. It gets a lot of attention and returns me to a time that wasn't as complicated as life is now as a dad with a mortgage. If you let her have the car I would make sure she respects it for what it is. Good Luck.
mikoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 07:19 PM   #4
MetalHead
Registered Member

Yes, we definitely need more info. what condition is the car in? what kind of restoration are you considering? complete from the ground up, or just repairing and maintaining?

"help me...help you" -Jerry Maguire

Jason

Next: new tranny, T5 or Toploader
MetalHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 02:34 AM   #5
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

First, I would say congratualtuions on starting a mustang project, with time and patience, you'll have it rollin' down the highway in no time. Believe me, it's not as complicated as it may seem, and it is definately worth the effort.
Second, it sounds like you're on the right track. The first thing you have to do when starting a project in arm yourself with as much information as you can get your hands on. This message board is a great place to start. Pick up a ford shop manual for 1965 and start to thumb through it a little when you have the chance, you'll be amazed at the info you can pick up. I would also recomend the "Mustang Restoration Handbook" from HP books. How about getting a subscription to Mustang and Fords magazine? This is also a great resource because it is filled with "how-to" articles and feature cars that you can get ideas/inspiration from.
As MetalHead pointed out, we do need some more info if you are looking for answers relating to your specific project.

In response to what mikoc stated, I would have to respectfully disagree. Even though he did make some good points about some legitimate safety concerns dealings with older Mustangs, I don't think that these should be enough to stop a parent from giving a child a classic mustang as a gift. Especially one built by thier own hands. The truth is, that the future of the mustang hobby lies in the youth, and that by getting them involved and interested, you are passing on the torch of both knowledge and experience. The younger demographic in this hobby is growing all the time, and so are the ideas that they have been able to contribute. Fixing up old mustangs is not just about the mechanics, I've found that there is much more to be gained from getting involved in the hobby. If your daughter really wants the car, then get her to help you in the fix-up process. I know several young girls who have been very involved in the work that has been done on the mustangs they drive daily. Take the time to make the car as safe and reliable as you can while you restore it, and then trust that your daughter has enough of an attatchment to it to be safe and responsible. Like mikoc suggested, this will make sure "she respects it for what it is".

Whew!...I guess it's time to get off my soap box...but I hope that helped anyways....let me know what you guys think.

Good Luck with the project!!!
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote