MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-27-2001, 06:44 PM   #1
moonblue66
Registered Member

Question restoring a 66 coupe.....

Hey there...I'm a newbie
I'm a gUrl but- I REFUSE to enter "girls can too."
Anyway...
I got a 66 coupe back in August of 99. My dad works on my car from time to time. Except, that he's an electrician and usually ends up doing stuff on it that doesn't last too long. And well, he's not careful...so while he works on it, he ends up getting something really dirty or breaking something.
So now, I'd like to work on it myself. Start from scratch. Does anyone know of a good SIMPLE book that goes into detail, step by step (for restoring/repairing a classic Mustang)? I do not know much about cars so I need something simple. Feel free to offer tips and suggestions. help me

------------------
66 Mustang coupe
blue/blue
<a href="http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1632">See it HERE
</a>
moonblue66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 07:03 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Moonblue66, please don't sell your dad too short. My bet is he knows more than you think.

If you want manuals, these are my suggestions:

1.) Ford Comet, Falcon , Fairlane and Mustang Shop Manual. Available from most all Mustang parts outlets.
2.) How To Restore Your Mustang, Clark Printing Co.
3.) Mustang Restoration Hand Book, HPBooks.

Try these. That should get you started.

Again, don't sell dad too short. I'll bet he knows alot.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 07:26 PM   #3
zach0
Registered Member

Thier are many supplkiers that you can the afor mentioned books from. I go through California Mustang and Va Mustang but CA Mustang is usally on back order and takes longer. www.cal-mustang.com www.vamustang.com www.mustangplus.com (the best)
If you need help just post, Im doing a 66 Coupe also, Good Luck
Virginia
zach0@home.com
zach0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 07:29 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Hey, Moonblue, what's the problem with "Girls Can Too"? They are kick a$$ Mustang people that run 9's and 10's. Things I can only aspire to. I look to these ladies for advice on how to kick a$$ on the street or the strip. As a guy, I can't see the problem.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-27-2001, 07:36 PM   #5
moonblue66
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for the titles I have nothing against my dad. He does have knowledge and I am aware of it. He bought a Chilton's manual , hardly reads it, and when he does, he does things differently than the book. The only thing is that he doesn't want me to spend money on my car so he goes out and buys cheap parts and such. He bought cheapie mirrors that are silver colored plastic. They look terrible Also, I know for a fact that my car needs flywheel replacement. He continues to say that it doesn't. He did all of the electrical wiring. That worked for a while, until I started having problems with the car. When I took it in to the shop, they informed me that the wiring was all wrong. Plus, he tries to work on the cosmetics before he tries under the hood. I asked him to let me handle how the car looks but he won't listen. Finally, he doesn't let me help After trying endlessly, I've decided to take my car into my hands. We have an ok relationship (my dad and I) but, not when it comes to my car. Anyway, if anyone else has book titles, send them my way

------------------
66 Mustang coupe
blue/blue
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1632
Old 04-27-2001, 07:44 PM   #6
moonblue66
Registered Member

Talking

Rev-
I wasn't exactly bashing 'Girls Can Too' or 'Female Power.' I just choose not to take part in it. I have a few reasons but- I honestly do not want to start a debate forum. I just want to fix my car

------------------
66 Mustang coupe
blue/blue
Old 04-27-2001, 07:45 PM   #7
Fostang
Registered Member

I second that Rev. MOONBLUE66 to restore a vehicle is only limited by the amount of cash available and the imagination you have. For example my next project is using a roller 5.0 engine with the edelbrock RPM package and a 200 shot nos a modded T-5 some 4.11 gears the hood, front valance, fenders and trunk replaced with fiberglass and of course other things to rienforce the chassis. As soon as I'm able to finish this damn 67' coupe and can use it as my daily driver. I do know what you mean about dad always doing a messy job and sometimes breaking or scratching things along the way. My dad is like that but the only comfort I have is that he ends up making it work a whole lot better than me. Working on a car is never over but as you progress you fall in love with the car. My 67' fastback might not be the fastest or best looking but I built it with my dad and know every screw and scratch on it and can tell you how it got there.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 08:45 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Hmmm......been alot of years now since my dad has been gone. I've now got grown boys now and grandchildren too. My boys like to go out and stand on my '66 Coupe now, but noboby cares how it got there.

I still wish my dad was here to help me improve it. He knew what a "hot rod" was.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:55 PM   #9
Power
Registered Member

My dad has never even seen my car except Pics. He and I are separated by the Pac ocean. I wish I could have him help me with some of my car problems. There is no replacement for experience. As for your book, I'm not sure what to recommend, as I always use my imagination when doing work on a car. I used to be a custom fabricator for audio systems and interior cosmetics. I was never a gearhead though so one book I simply cannot live without is the infamous Chiltons manual. If you already have that then you are good to go. Let your imagination do the rest.

PS - What blue is your car. Mine is Arcadian Blue with light blue interior. I've already started by masking and spraying the dash and kicks gloss black. I've pulled off the door panels for templates and replacing with 2-tone Leather Panels made from shaped fiberglass. Eventually it will be black and gray inside and either black or DARK purple outside. I'm leaving the motor alone till I get to Texas. Geez, I gotta update my sig.

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289 w/ man. 3-speed, nothing special but the fact that it is my first mustang. I am a former import guru....no more.

I've never run it except on the street, it has new wheels & tires, new exaust, and that about covers it. Looking to change a lot in the future including engine. Any ideas are appreciated.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 12:05 AM   #10
Power
Registered Member

Here, updated sig

------------------
1966 Baby blue Coupe, 289, Manual 3-speed, Edelbrock 650, Flowmaster 3-chambers, and minor upgrades. Interior work includes custom paneling, custom dash dress-up(I refuse to cut anything out of the original), Rewiring most of the electronics, Porsche 911 seats installed soon, and Stroker kit when I get to Texas. November of 2001 I will go back to Dallas.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 01:11 AM   #11
induction
The Brit!

Question

Hummmmmmmmmm? well so ya don't want to debate with the girls?! OK thats fair. But remember fixing a car demands that you debate things . You know like what ""NEEDS "" to be done Vs what you ""WANT "" to be done. Anyway theres some great info for you here too. Just click on my sig below . Oh and welcome to Mustang Works.

------------------
Restored 1965 Coupe
April Mare of the Month
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 04:34 AM   #12
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I agree with Rev and Power. Don't sell your Dad short. My Dad has been gone many years and is still missed dearly.

When I was 15 thru 18 and working on my car he was alway there with his help and advice. I usually didn't pay much attention to it, cause he wasn't a mechanic by trade. And of course I knew better how to fix it.

Well, after 4 years in the service. Most of that in Southeast Asia, I noticed when I came home that my father had changed alot. He became very smart and was a real help to have around. He must of went to school or something while I was gone. Cause, you know, "I surely didn't change".

Sorry, to go on and on. Just hope my 13 year old son, who by the way "knows everything" doesn't put me down to bad.

[This message has been edited by Gearhead999 (edited 04-28-2001).]
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 04:41 AM   #13
moonblue66
Registered Member

Exclamation

Looks like most of you misread the part about my dad. When my dad works on my car, he won't let me help. He refuses to even let me watch. I have tried to talk things over with him and nothing has worked. Please see my side. I have no idea why everyone is commenting on the deal with my dad when my question was about books for my car

------------------
66 coupe
blue/blue
Old 04-28-2001, 05:15 PM   #14
Fostang
Registered Member

Well the reason for me commenting about it is because the father son relationship is a very delicate matter in the hot rod world. Just about everyone's interest in cars started because their dad introduced them to it. I'm just glad the old man is still around so I can learn as much as possible.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Old 04-28-2001, 06:31 PM   #15
moonblue66
Registered Member

Question

Please comment if you have TITLES of books. Thanks.

Fostang- in my case, it is father-daughter relationship.

------------------
66 coupe
blue/blue http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1632

[This message has been edited by moonblue66 (edited 04-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by moonblue66 (edited 04-28-2001).]
Old 04-28-2001, 08:34 PM   #16
Fostang
Registered Member

OUCH!

------------------
Old 04-28-2001, 11:47 PM   #17
induction
The Brit!

Question

Hey Fostang, I have a question for ya . When did we get a "NEW" controler at this forum? Damn !!!It's No wonder why "ECLIPSE" cant hang with GC2. Idont think that tude would be welcomed with hugs & kisses ,Do you???? lol )Oh well ,It takeS ALL kinds .I think all my 66' memory just crashed | ||```~~_>....@# K-BOOM!!!!!!!!

------------------
Restored 1965 Coupe
April Mare of the Month
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 11:23 AM   #18
red
Registered Member

Cool

The shop manual is a must and the last two books Rev mentioned are right on target for a beginning restoration. If the car is farther along and you are making specific upgrades subscribe to Mustang and Fords if you are restomodding or if you are going concourse join the Mustang Club of America which will get you a subscription to Mustang Times. You can find a lot of how-tos at Tom Schmidt's site.

[This message has been edited by red (edited 04-29-2001).]
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2001, 04:55 PM   #19
Rev
Registered Member

I'm with you Jon, I think moonblue66 wants to focus on books and 'how to's"

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:06 AM   #20
Jaydee
Registered Member

I would also suggest that if you don't already, look into joing a Mustang car club in your area. You will not only learn a lot about the car but will also meet some great people who have "been there and done that". These clubs will be great resources for information, and you will find a great group of folks who are very willing to help you out with your project.

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, 5 spd, stock heads (minor porting) and intake, 65mmTB, 3.55's, ram air, pulleys, shorty's, 2.5" exhaust with cats 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote