Thread: Rev....
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2000, 09:58 PM   #13
Rev
Registered Member

make7UPYOURS, I think I missed the the duration on the Summit cam. I saw the .471 lift. My '66 Coupe weighs 3020 with a 1/2 tank of gas and without me in it,(includes spare tire & jack though.) This is w/out PS, PB, AC. Please don't ask what it weighs with me in it. LOL. No big honking stereo either. As you can see from my sig, my car is set up for low end torque. Dyno shows 223 @ 5100 and 262 @ 3750 at he rear wheels. This makes lots of oomph off the line but falls badly after 5500. Mostly due the plain Performer and the 268 CC cam and also the mildly worked 351W heads. My feeling is that the large tube headers (for a 302) and possibly a long duration cam are hurting you even with the 3.80 rear and the lighter weight. My understanding is that the 289 heads even though they have small chambers, may not breathe really well even with the larger valves. Coul be some valve shrouding with these heads and biger valves. Thjat could hurt breathing some. It's possible for bigger valves to actually decrease flow. My car runs 9.1 and 81 at the 1/8 mile mark. My first runs with the car were only 14.38/97. Later made 14.17/97. Finally after lots of tweaking got 13.97/101. Tweaking included going through the carb trying different jets (primaries only (4160)), ACC. pump cams, nozzles, secondary springs, adding a K&N stub stack on the carb, windage tray and scraper, roller tip rockers, and changing the distributer advance curve. (13 deg. initial and a whopping 45 deg total, all in by 3000). There was lots of trial and error here, but finally feel Iv'e got about all I can out of this set up. My advice is to make a DynoJet run to see exactly what kind of power you're making and where the torque is. This will be a well spent $75. You'll then hopefully know how to proceed to make the car run the way you want. My gut feeling is you've got too much cam and too big headers. Hope this helps a little.

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote