MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Default convertible roof replacement

I have a 1996 GT convertible. The time has come that I need a new roof. Have any of you guys put a new roof on your cars. Is it something that can be done easily. I don't have great skills for working on cars but i am hoping the roof might be some thing I can handle.
COUSIN ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:30 PM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

Not an easy job but it can be done with alot of patience. Try to find a guy from a top shop in your area that will help under the table or even place in ad for someone to do it. Or you can cut the top and seat up with a knife and rip out the stereo, call the police and claim it on insurance ( new top, stereo and seats! ) ( just kidding!!!! ) If you have a garage to keep it in you can slowly dismantle it and just try it yourself, Also look for instructions on the web. Maybe someone here can help more. It is just a matter of learning the secrets.

Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
surfbeast
Registered Member

Here is a good site that gives instructions.

http://www.upholster.com/auto/convertible-domestic.html
Old 04-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

Thanks very much for the info surfbeast. I took it in last night for an estimate. The roof comes in three pieces, the top, the window portion and the liner inside. It is just the top on mine that is shot. The window portion will last a while longer and the liner is fine. For the top it will cost $800 CDN. parts and installation. That is at an after market shop.
I guess the people that cruise with the top down and without the boot cover over the retracted roof can get a damaged liner from the sun.
COUSIN ROB is offline   Reply With Quote