MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-26-1999, 06:24 PM   #1
CobraAC
Registered Member

Question Rusty Bolts

Sorry this isn't a "Specific" mustang question, but I just ordered a new rear valence, and I was trying to install it when I ran into one hell of a rusty bolt.. I sat and tried to budge it for an hour.. WD-40'd the hell out of it and I don't have any strong enough power tools to get it.. Any suggestions? Thanks, appreciate it

Jeff
CobraAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-1999, 09:34 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Jeff
If you get real desperate, a cutting torch can cut a nut off a bolt without harming the threads. Yea I know, didn't believe it myself until I did it. But Best guess is just keep working it after the penetrating oil has had time to sit.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-1999, 01:33 AM   #3
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

I have found Liquid Wrench to be very good for loosening up rusted parts - it seems to work better for me than WD-40.

A dremel with a cut off disc can sometimes just cut one small slot in the side of the nut (clear through) and that will do it, if you can get to it with the dremel disc.

Vise Grips and just twist the bolt off? Or, grind the head off the bolt? Somewhat extreme, but effective!

Neal
Neal Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-1999, 10:24 AM   #4
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Jeff,
I think these guys have covered all the removal techniques, I just wanted to let you know about a killer penetrating fluid. It is called "Kroil" made by Kano industries, it is a spray can and it will put WD40 and liquid wrench to shame.You can find it in auto parts stores, just ask around.
P.S. I work on Jet engines and we use this stuff to free up bolts that you would think would never break loose.

[This message has been edited by Clark Rodgers (edited 07-28-1999).]
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-1999, 02:44 PM   #5
CobraAC
Registered Member

Ya, I got some liquid wrench and actually, it didn't do a darn thing! hehe- So I'll have to go out and get some of that.. But I did get the valence off, I chilzed away around the bolt hehe It was the only thing that would work. Now I just have to figure out this wiring thing for the backup lights =) Thanks for the info!

Jeff
CobraAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-1999, 01:37 AM   #6
66fastback
Registered Member

Yes,Yes, a thousand times YES!!!! That stuff is killer. I think our old can has "aero-kroil" or something like that on it.

Ours is about empty and I was just about to call Kano for info on retailers. ABSOLUTELY beats Liquid Wrench, or anything else I've tried by far.

I know the bolt is already out, but everyone should have a can of this stuff in the garage.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote