View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #16
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: Safety Issue 64 - 70 Mustangs

I am a huge Mustang fan, would even consider myself pretty knowledgeable in the equipment of the car. The trunk however, is not really a highly documented and publicized part of the car. I think I have the proper spare cover, or fender inserts, but mainly only cause of part catalogs.

My car has the flip up metal door, but that door only comes down to the sub floor of the fastback. There is still an opening betwen the sub floor and the floor of the car that would allow fuel to run right up into the fastback and onto the rear seat. Maybe I am missing a card board insert, I don't know.

I do not expect my car to do well in accidents. I drive so cautiously, but preventing some yahoo from rear ending me is extremely difficult, if not impossible. I believe Ford knew about this problem all the same. Since they were not willing to do it, I will ad the piece of metal for a LITTLE bit of added protection in a crash with my car.

I do not see this as a Ford or Mustang bashing campaign. I do see this as a place where they may have cut corner's in the name of profit. Expecting a 16 year old to know of this risk, is a bit unlikely. With that being said, as long as the issue is well known, and the options are out there, people can drive this car at their own KNOWN risk.

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote