MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Libby
Registered Member

Default same old problem--no heat

I asked about this problem earlier this year; now I'm back, with the same problem. My 67 coupe is COLD. My mechanic just replaced the radiator, the thermostat (a 180, up from a 160), the heat/temp/def cables, the plenum, & flushed the heater core (it's only 2 years old). I've got barely warm air hitting the windshield, and mostly cold air at my feet. He says he checked the hoses & heater core, and there were no clogs &/or gunk. I'm wondering if the heater core could be bad, even tho' it's not very old. Is there something he & I are missing? I mean, my beast has never been terribly warm in the winter, but this is just not right.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: same old problem--no heat

Not a whole lot it could be other than what you've mentioned... If both heater hoses are hot, I would have a hard time believing it was the heater core.

If it is blowing air, then the air has to be coming from somewhere... if that somewhere is anywhere on the other side of the heater core, it would be hot (if both heater hoses are hot)...

Is there any chance that the heater box is clogged and you aren't drawing in air from the outside? Instead, you are merely pushing air in the "outgoing" plenum? Sort of like a fan that has its back against the wall instead of the open window?
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

If the car is actually 180 the heater core is partially clogged and the water is bypassing most of the core.

Replace it, or move south.....LOL

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
rwhite65
Ride Hard

When the new core was put in two years ago, what kinda of shape were the gaskets and foam in? My heater core just went bad a few months ago, so I put a new one in and totally rebuilt the box. I never knew the heat could work so well with good seals in one of those things.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
Libby
Registered Member

Ok, a couple of new things that neither I nor my 72 year old mechanic didn't think of. First let me ask a dumb question---are a heater box & a plenum the same thing? (I obviously don't know cars) My mech. told me he checked the air flow thru the heater core after he flushed it, and things were good. The rad. hoses are getting fairly warm; the amount of air coming thru the vents is astounding (it just isn't warm). I can't say what shape the heater core gaskets & foam were in when it was replaced cos I have no idea; I buy the parts & my mechanic replaces them. I obviously didn't know the core had gaskets or foam, so didn't buy them. I'm assuming the next step here would be to get new ones & see what happens? As long as I've got the poor guy with his head up under the dashboard, should I go ahead & replace the heater core just to be sure that's not the problem?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

The plenum is held onto the box by 4 screws... The plenum is the part that the hoses from the defroster connect to, it distributes the air...

The heater box is the part that houses the blower and the heater core... Its a dark grey fiberglass...
Old 11-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #7
Libby
Registered Member

Got it. I don't get under the dash very often, obviously. Any thoughts on whether the problem could be the heat valve control switch ? (I'm dangerous when I've got a parts catalog in my hands! )
I just took my beast on some errands, after putting cardboard in front of the rad.; didn't help. I'm going to have to get back to the mechanic next week, but I want to go with all the info I can get.
(BTW, I'm a Cubs fan from birth)
Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Do your "flaps" open and close when you pull up or down on the levers? They are connected to the cables and should swing relatively freely with the movement of the controls on the dash, or even manually if you were to take that cable off...

Any chance that the cable isn't tightened enough to the plenum/heater box? And that the wire isn't able to slide inside of the plastic sleeve without moving it?

(BTW, I feel your pain)
Old 11-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Libby
Registered Member

Those are good questions. I can hear the vents open & close when I move the levers. It's just strange---the radiator hoses are nice & hot, and the air coming from the "heater" (for lack of a better term) is just down right cold. There's obviously something going on between the thermostat & the inside of the car, it's just a question of what.
BTW: chronologically speaking, 2006 is the Cubs year. First the Red Sox, then the White Sox, then...... It's fate.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

There is another flap on the box that opens... it is in front of the seat, and part of the heater box... it has a "switch" (looks like a dark gray pencil tip) that keeps it locked. If you turn the "switch", and open the flap while the heater is running, do you feel it sucking air in? That box is where the air supply has to run through, I'm sure you could narrow it down if you can feel the air before (inside the box) and after (coming out of the plenum) the core, then the problem has got to be in the coolant system.

Wait til' next year...

Eagles...
Phils...
Flyers...
Sixers...

I'm still hanging my hat on the Stars...
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
bears4ever
Registered Member

Just a quick thought. You have 2 hoses coming out of the firewall to the motor. 1 goes to the water pump the other I believe is to the thermastat housing. Is it possible that the hoses are by passed together. You would get air out of your heater box but no heat. Check these hoses for heat. Hoses could be reversed? Just a thought
bears4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
Libby
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check them the next time I get the girl out of the garage & (try to) get her warmed up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: