MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-15-2001, 09:10 AM   #1
joey50gt
Registered Member

Question Please help with blower question/Powerdyne guys please answer

ok guys i am going to get a 9lb powerdyne and soon so what do i need to do to make sure my car can handle the 9lbs of boost and be ok?
Do i need to get any thing for my fuel system or will it be ok with that little amount of boost? My fuel system is stock.
Thanks for any help given ahead of time .
please give me your full opinion if you answer my question cause i dont want to **** any thing up on my car cause it cant handle the boost.
joey50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 11:07 AM   #2
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Quote:
Originally posted by joey50gt:
ok guys i am going to get a 9lb powerdyne and soon so what do i need to do to make sure my car can handle the 9lbs of boost and be ok?
Do i need to get any thing for my fuel system or will it be ok with that little amount of boost? My fuel system is stock.
Thanks for any help given ahead of time .
please give me your full opinion if you answer my question cause i dont want to **** any thing up on my car cause it cant handle the boost.
1) Do a leakdown test to make sure you won't have blowby.

2) Yes you will need to upgrade your fuel system. To be safe get 30# injectors for a stock motor, 36-42# for a modified motor, a bigger fuel pump...I have a 190, but I also have a FMU. If you aren't upgrading your injectors, you WILL need a FMU.

3) Get an ignition with a Boost Retard. I have the MSD-6BTM, and love it....make sure you get a rev limiter for 6000 rpm too, cause over spinning will burn the bearings out on the powerdynes.

**How many miles do you have, and what are your current mods?

------------------
Dustin
Saleenized 89 GT,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,FRPP 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 75mm Bullet,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119

[This message has been edited by SaleenGTS (edited 06-15-2001).]
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 01:22 PM   #3
bada$$lx

Cool

I would have to agree w/ saleengts, except I think the MSD6AL is just as good as the 6BTM and will save you some $$$.

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 06-15-2001, 01:46 PM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

They pretty much summed it up. Just don't forget to unhook the hose going from the intake manifold to the breather on your valve cover. If you don't, all 9#'s of boost will go directly into your CRANKCASE! Can you say blown rear main seal?
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 02:42 PM   #5
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

bada$$lx---Yeah, the MSD6AL is a great ignition...the same box as the 6BTM, but he will need a retard, and that is what the BTM is for. It will save $$ in the long run, because he will need the ignition to burn the excess fuel, and also the retard so he doesn't detonate. the 2-in-1 is cheaper than buying one then the other, IMO.

------------------
Dustin
Saleenized 89 GT,428 rwhp,TFS Street Heat Intake,TFS TW Heads,TFS #2 cam,BD-11A 9 psi,FRPP 1.6 rr's,BBK 70mm TB,Pro-M 75mm Bullet,MSD 6BTM, FMS 9mm wires,BBK longtubes,BBK Short H-pipe,American Thunder cat back,3.55's

12.3@119
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote