MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-23-1999, 11:49 AM   #1
paulorion
Registered Member

Default Seat extraction

I am in the process of installing a new interior in a 66 Mustang Coupe. I am having a hard time figuring out how the driver's and passenger seats come out. I would appreciate all the help that I could get on how this can be accomplished and the tools needed to do this. From one stang lover to another, thanks
paulorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-1999, 07:39 PM   #2
Sean6990
Registered Member

You need to get underneath the car, there should be 8 plastic plugs that need to be removed to access the nuts that are holding the seats in place. Loosen, then lift out seats. This is how I did it on my 69 anyway.
Sean6990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-1999, 01:53 AM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

Just a couple of hints here for a first timer. Pulling the seats is really easy, but here is some advice....

first, fold the seats forward. This helps keep them from falling back and making nut removal more difficult.

You will need a deep 1/2" socket and an extension to reach the nuts. Like sean said, you must get under the car and remove the plugs to get to the nuts.

Be careful when you get the nuts loose. It's very easy to drop them off into the seat pan area, and they are then basically lost forever.

Once you've done this couple of times, it becomes a "piece of cake"--whatever that is supposed to mean.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-1999, 10:39 AM   #4
red
Registered Member

Good info guys,
The deep well socket is the trick because the seat track studs are ~2" long. Also, if the floor pan plugs are original they are probably brittle and you will probably break them into many pieces trying to get them out. New ones are only ~50 cents each so don't worry about it. -JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: