MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Seats and what to get?

OK - now that I have had the stang on the road a few times...I am going to complain about the seats....They just plain suck. I am thinking about new seats, but want to get a type that will compliment the car and not look totaly dumb. Has anyone put in aftermarket seats (front only) and what did you choose?

TJ
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:35 PM   #2
fordkid68
Registered Member

well I haven't put any aftermarket seats in mine since I love the stock bench seat I got. but I kow alot of people use the later model seats and put them in the classics. at the show I went to last weekend I say A 66 with 2003 front seats in it. of coures he had the whole interior the same cloth color as the seats but it looked nice. if you have A 64 through 66 maybe look into putting 67 or 68 seats in there. I've seen that A couple of times and it looks great with no other modifications to the interior.

just my 2 cents.

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

are they uncomfortable or what? i dont really have any problems with mine i think they are pretty comfy for what they are worth - i did redo them myself tho u can buy cushions and stuff from this local guy i know online if u wanna do that www.johnsmustang.com he has a kit u can buy (pliers and hog clamps basically) that you can use to redo them with new innards
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
orlowted
Registered Member

Default They are OK...

I have 2 problems with the seats...
1. They do not have shoulder belts (not so safe with me driving)
2. There is no head restraint

The way I drive is OK when you are the one holding on to the steering wheel, but for my better half..she needs neck support when I accelerate. I personally am OK with the seats, but what fun is riding alone? Have you ever sat in a Cobra or a NSX. The seats were designed for speed. They hug you and keep you were you were supposed to be.

I guess a real test is have someone drive your car in a race type manner (not that I do that) while you are sitting in the passenger seat and you will know what I mean. I didn't believe it either until I was on the other side. It's not like there is a grab bar to hold on to. I guess I want modern day features without making the interior really tacky????

TJ
Old 05-31-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

haha yeah i know what you mean now it is different when your in the passenger seat i let my friend drive it for a bit and it was a mistake - she stepped on it and i got whiplash but i do think the 69 seats were taller and had headrests if you wanna look into those
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Default Who art they?

There is an outfit that makes a kit (?) or installs an aftermarket matching headrest in early Mustang front seat backs. There is also an outfit that makes shoulder harness seat belts for early Mustangs. I can't remember the names of either company. Anybody remember who these companies are?

Of course the seats remain the same otherwise, which is not the most supportive in the bolsters. An internet search might find these companies if nobody here can remember.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
orlowted
Registered Member

Default If we could only have it all...

Rev - I do remember seeing the headrest and seatbelt kits too...Wish I could find them again. I considered those, but since the better half has a weak neck (really) from another car accident, I just thought highback seats were in order. Anybody want to ride with me???

Just a shame you can't try these things out before you buy them...

TJ