MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-30-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
66mustanger
Registered Member

Question Shock Tower? Dry popping or cracking sound?

Hello,

I did a complete rebuild on my front suspension this past spring. I finally got to taker her on a test drive this past saturday and it drove beautiful, no probs to be found. On the drive to work yesterday, I noticed a real bad dry squeek or popping sound on the passenger side. When I got home, I central located it to the shock tower area. I unbolted the shock to make sure its not it, it sounds like a upper control arm, but they are new. So i tourqed the 2 bolts 100 ft lbs. They are ok. Someone told me that it is most likely my new 620 coil springs that I put in. Has anyone ever had this experience after installing new springs. The popping sound can be made while driving or turning, and while sitting and shaking the front of the car. It still feels like in the shock tower, but I guess it could be where the spring sits in the spring perch! The driver side doesnt do this. Its fine, I checked and double checked, pulled all cotter pins at all steering joints, ball joints and retourqed them to make sure, I couldnt find nothing out of place or loose. Help, anyone have any advice or experienced this simalar problem? Thanks

Larry of Mason, Ohio

God Bless America!
Support our Troops!
66mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Squeeking, welcome to Fords uppers.

Spring perchs will create a racket also. Mostly a bump noise from them.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
66mustanger
Registered Member

Angry I found the problem!

Just a little update guys!

Last nite I jacked the car up, took the tire off, and You absolutely wont believe what the hell Happened! I got to lookin at the upper control area and the outer bushing that holds the shaft in place(that bolts to the shock tower), the one on the right(facing the front of the car.) was backing itself off. I bought these from a place called American Pony Parts in Washington, I thought these things looked a little cheap made, but they came in the suspension kit that I purchased. When I went to use them, i had to make adjustments on the shaft cause they werent centered in control arm, so I backed off the bushings to make adjustments and when I did, the external threads on the bushings stripped off. Now I was pissed! BUt I got to thinking that since my old ones were tack welded sometime thru the years that it would be ok to do this to the new ones and they wont back off. Well it appeared to be ok and strong! Problem solved, well later on when it come time to install the springs, the spring compressor slipped alittle while installing, and kicked out, when it did this, it hit the upper control arm with some force, It looked like nothing was wrong. Now I have been driving it for a week before I noticed the problem, then it got worse and worse. The driver side appears to be ok! So Far! I have checked them and the welds are holding. I think before I go thru the trouble of buying a new control arm, I will weld a solid bead of weld half the way around them(bushing and contol arm) and see if that keeps them in place before I go thru the trouble of needing to replace the hole thing and taking everything back apart! Does anyone think this is Lajit! Have any Ideas?

Thanks and God Bless America
66mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Default Grease?

There should be grease in those fittings. I'm afraid of what the welding is going to do there. For sure ruin the lube and maybe start a fire?

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote