MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-1999, 12:49 PM   #1
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

Post Shorty Headers???

Any comments on what are the best shorty headers for a 65 Fastback GT with a 302, GT-40 heads, C4? We plan to keep the stock GT duals routing the same, although we may eventually enlarge to 2 1/2 inch pipe throughout. Doubtful we will put the AC back in.

Need to get rid of the stock, straight (non-hypo), cast exhaust manifolds.

Hooker, Hedman, JBA, others?

Thanks!

Neal
Neal Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-1999, 03:17 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

No doubt that the list should start with JBA, then Hooker and Hedman last. Quality wise I have heard good things from the support and product with JBA. Hooker is good but usually cost's the most and Hedman work (cheapest) but never last.
I have a 69 with 351W and would love to install a complete JBA system.(don't make a set for my car) My friend ordered a complete system for his 69 302 and it fit like a glove! Hope this helps.
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-1999, 06:00 PM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

I'll agree. I love my JBA's soooooooooooo much that I actually wrote the company to compliment them on their product--I've never done that with any other product that I have purchased in my life.

The headers fit great, but it is the quality that really turns me on. After years of header problems, JBA solved everything. They use really thick flanges and tubing, and then they Nickle plate the sh!% out of it. You close your eyes and pick one up and you'd swear it was cast iron.

I don't have a header leak of any kind. PERIOD. You torque the bolts once really good, and I bet you can never get them any tighter no matter how long you drive the car. Believe me, retorquing header bolts used to be religious to me when I put on headers, but not anymore.

They are expensive, and you'll need a custom H-pipe made, but in my opinion it is well worth the effort.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-1999, 03:24 AM   #4
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

Clark and 66Mustang,

Thanks for the input! I have been to the JBA shop in San Diego and checked out their product and liked what I saw. (you could arc weld them tubes without burning through) About 350 bucks for the pair and I felt the quality was well worth the price. Only concern was that for our application they said I needed to change motor mounts to the pivot bolt style (we have the pin style now) and to do that I had to change the motor mount mounting bracket that bolts to the bottom of the shock tower. Those are rather pricey new and hard to find used. So, I decided to not go with shorty headers at the time. Perhaps now would be the time and I wonder if they have changed the motor mount and bracket requirement so maybe I don't have to get all that other stuff?

Thanks!
Neal
Old 07-23-1999, 08:52 AM   #5
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Check back with them you never know and ask them if they started making shorty's for a 69 with a 351W? I just wanted to add one more thing and whatever you decide stay with the shorty design. As far as leaks,and ground clearance the long ones are a pain.I'm going to have to use my cast iron ones until JBA makes one available because I like trouble free exhaust systems.
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-1999, 02:05 PM   #6
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

Clark and 66,

Thanks! I will go with the JBAs, probably in another month or so. I will try to check with them soon and will ask about the 69 351W application as well.

JBA does have a website at:
http://www.jbaracing.com/ and they have been pretty good at answering emails in the past.

Neal