MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-02-2002, 10:57 AM   #1
mustangdon2k
Registered Member

Default Smoke from tailpipe

I just got the distributor & coil replaced on my '66 coupe (6 cyl - 200 CID). My wife was following behind & noted some smoke coming out of the tailpipe after I accelerated from stoplights. She says it was black in color & was only momentary. It doesn't smoke at all otherwise, such as during idle or going down the road. Only when taking off from a complete stop. Any ideas? The car has pretty much been sitting for a while. This was the first time I've taken it out of the drive since Feb., when I bought it. I don't know for sure how long it had been sitting before that. Any help is appreciated. The car has to have an emissions inspection before being licensed, & they won't inspect ii if the car is smoking. I sure hate to appear stupid, but I don't want to waste time chasing my tail. Thanks in advance for any & all help.

1966 coupe
200 CID
Automatic
Candy Apple Red
mustangdon2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 02:28 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Sounds to me like it is running rich, could be from the stuff you just changed. Look at the plugs and see if they are sooting up or you might try and lean it out a little.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Default Ckoke?

Also check the choke adjustment. Make sure it's opening up all the way after warm up. Also might have too much "squirt" from the accelerator pump in the carb. That could also do it. But as Clark Rodgers mentioned, the black smoke means a rich condition at the time that it occurs.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 08-02-2002 at 02:42 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 02:14 AM   #4
rustang girl
Registered Member

Default Re: Smoke from tailpipe

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangdon2k
my '66 coupe (6 cyl - 200 CID)

The car has to have an emissions inspection before being licensed, & they won't inspect ii if the car is smoking. I sure hate to appear stupid, but I don't want to waste time chasing my tail. Thanks in advance for any & all help.
My '66 coupe doesn't need an "emissions inspection," what gives?
http://ricehatersclub.com/
http://MechaPS.com/
rustang girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 02:41 AM   #5
PKRWUD

Default Re: Re: Smoke from tailpipe

Quote:
Originally posted by rustang girl

My '66 coupe doesn't need an "emissions inspection," what gives?
He lives in Tennessee, and I'm not sure how the laws are there. Here, any vehicle manufactured in or before 1973 is smog exempt, EXCEPT when transferring the title. In other words, if you sold it, the guy that bought it would have to have it smogged in order to get the title transferred into his name, if it's running at the time. Otherwise, he needs to get it smogged the first time he gets it registered. In either case, he would never have to get it smogged again as long as he was the registered owner.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 03:55 AM   #6
rustang girl
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Smoke from tailpipe

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

He lives in Tennessee, and I'm not sure how the laws are there. Here, any vehicle manufactured in or before 1973 is smog exempt, EXCEPT when transferring the title. In other words, if you sold it, the guy that bought it would have to have it smogged in order to get the title transferred into his name, if it's running at the time. Otherwise, he needs to get it smogged the first time he gets it registered. In either case, he would never have to get it smogged again as long as he was the registered owner.

Take care,
~Chris
Ya, I thought about it after I posted that post, and figured it was a state thing. I was just coming here to delete that post. But, you beat me to the punch Scott. = P

As for getting it smogged when transfering titles. That didn't happen when I bought my '66. Went there w/ the pink slip and bill of sale, signed a few papers wrote a check and left. Was pretty quick too, since phoned ahead of time and made reservasions. Anyways, when I transfered it to my name they didn't make me get it smogged. Why do you suppose that is Chris?
Old 08-03-2002, 08:47 AM   #7
mustangdon2k
Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys. Time to get out the shop manual & follow the instructions. You guys put me on the right track. I hope it is as simple as the adjustment. The son & I will tackle it today. Let you all know how it turns out. rstang girl, it's actually a Memphis thing. Most of TN. does not have emissions testing, & the parts that do exempt older cars. Not Memphis! If I lived a block South my situation would be different, I'd be in the county. Oh well. Thanks again everyone!

1966 coupe
200 CID
Automatic
Candy Apple Red
Old 08-03-2002, 08:55 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Smoke from tailpipe

Quote:
Originally posted by rustang girl
As for getting it smogged when transfering titles. That didn't happen when I bought my '66. Went there w/ the pink slip and bill of sale, signed a few papers wrote a check and left. Was pretty quick too, since phoned ahead of time and made reservasions. Anyways, when I transfered it to my name they didn't make me get it smogged. Why do you suppose that is Chris?
Did you buy it from a family member?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-03-2002, 01:58 PM   #9
rustang girl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangdon2k
Thanks for the info guys. Time to get out the shop manual & follow the instructions. You guys put me on the right track. I hope it is as simple as the adjustment. The son & I will tackle it today. Let you all know how it turns out. rstang girl, it's actually a Memphis thing. Most of TN. does not have emissions testing, & the parts that do exempt older cars. Not Memphis! If I lived a block South my situation would be different, I'd be in the county. Oh well. Thanks again everyone!
Sucky. I feel for you dude. Well, good luck! = )

Mine was running rich once, was starting up bad. Turned down the timeing and fixed it. But don't listen to me, I'm not much of a car person. I basically don't know what I'm talking about. :P
Old 08-03-2002, 02:00 PM   #10
rustang girl
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Smoke from tailpipe

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD

Did you buy it from a family member?
No, actually, it was a guy who lives across the street from us. As I look out my livingroom window I can see his place. Anywho, yes, I believe he did us a favor. I believe he told her (woman behind counter) he was basically giving it to me. (He came w/ me when I we transfered it.) That makes a difference. Oh, just remmbered his name, Raymond, or Ray. He had to get rod of it for $$$ reasons. I think it was cuz he broke it. :P

Last edited by rustang girl; 08-04-2002 at 05:13 AM..
Old 08-03-2002, 06:11 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

Default Emissions inspections

Thank God my '66 here in Texas is exempt from emissions tests. Only has to have original emissions equipment in place. For me that's only a PCV valve. I actually run an air cleaner suction tube to the valve cover, though for me, it's not required.

I can't really see how a '66 (stock) could pass any tail pipe test anywhere with the original equipment.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 06:55 AM   #12
PKRWUD

That's pretty much the way it is here, too, Rev, except when there's a change of ownership. The standards that need to be met during the test are those that existed when the vehicle was first sold, so it's pretty easy for a '66 to pass.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 08-07-2002, 07:38 AM   #13
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Hey Chris, I'd hate to say it, but i think that u might be wrong about the smog thing on a '66. For a '74 and under, u no longer need any kind of smogging. Not even after u sell it. And yes, it's now '74. When I bought my '66 they didn't even ask about smog, as far as I know, (I asked around), nothing under '74 needs smog.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:43 AM   #14
PKRWUD

Vehicles exempt from regular testing are 1973 and older. As of 1/1/03, it will be 1974 and older vehicles. As far as vehicles needing a change of ownership test, read this: Calif. Smog Check Info. I did find another article stating that '73 and older vehicles are exempted from any type of annual testing, but if they have done away with them having to test for change of ownership, that's news to me. I will try and research this further.

Take care,
~Chris

{EDIT}
Okay, I did find this:
Quote:
If you intend to sell a 1974 or newer vehicle, you are responsible by law to provide the buyer proof that the vehicle has passed a Smog Check inspection in the last 90 days. A passing Vehicle Inspection Report supplied by the Smog Check station should be provided to the buyer.
That tells me that the change of ownership clause no longer applies to the exempted vehicles.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!

Last edited by PKRWUD; 08-07-2002 at 10:53 AM..
Old 08-07-2002, 11:32 AM   #15
mustangdon2k
Registered Member

I wish that applied in Memphis. I took my car for inspection this morning & it failed the CO test by .54 %. I tried to reasom w/ the inspector that there were no standards in 1966 & my car doesn't have or come w/ a catalytic converter, but it made no difference. It did pass the hydrcarbon test though. There was stilla a small bit of smoke coming fron the tailpipe, so I need to do some more tweaking. Oh to be in the county.

1966 coupe
200 CID
Automatic
Candy Apple Red
Old 08-07-2002, 12:47 PM   #16
PKRWUD

Register it at a friends that lives a few blocks over.

Just a thought.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!