MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Hitman73
Registered Member

Default Spark Plugs, Engine Shake??

I took all the plugs out and well need some assistance- plugs 1-4 were fine and had normal wear, plugs 5-8 a different story plug #5 had carbon fouled, plug# 6 normal wear, plug#7 Bad oil fouled, plug#8 bad oil fouled both 7-8 were pretty bad and i replaced all but what is the problem on my 5-8 side of the block?.

Then as i started it up after plug change the engine was shaking pretty bad i then turned up idle a bit and it stopped shaking so bad like before but the idle was so high it wants to keep running after shutoff. I then backed off idle enough to stop that but it still shakes some is that ok whats up with the shakes ?.
Hitman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Default Re: Spark Plugs, Engine Shake??

Crossed wire?

Plug gap.

Grease on plug wires? Or lack of, cousing spark jump. *electronic ig.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: Spark Plugs, Engine Shake??

Yeah... if it ran alright before, but runs poorly now, I'd say it is either a crossed wire or a bad set of wires that are now touching each other.

As far as the oil/carbon... some of that could be as simple as a bad plug or wire or bad gap on #5....

7 and 8, well, oil in the combustion chamber is never a great sign. The hope would be that it is minor and a better quality plug might do the trick in burning that off rather than letting it accumulate...

One of the things that I like to use for cleaning that stuff up, it especially works well on fuel injection engines, is Valvoline SynPower Complete Fuel System Cleaner... I've seen the stuff work wonders when I was running out of ideas, and if your engine has already seen its best days, it might be something to check out.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: