MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2004, 02:22 AM   #1
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

Default I just noticed my stupidity, I need a new clutch cable

I was putting an 88 cougar motor in my 84 stang, and I just realized something. I was getting ready to put a new throwout bearing in the transmission, and I noticed that when I pulled the motor and tranny out a couple of months ago, I had cut the clutch cable. The stupid thing was, the transmission wouldnt come out of the car before, because there was a cable coming out of the firewall to the transmission, my buddy unhooked the stuff from the transmission underneath of the car, which is where I thought the cluctch cable was. I thought the cable was for the tach, and I was all gung-ho on getting the motor and tranny out quickly, because I wanted to go party, so I was like screw it, I'll just buy an after market tach, and just cut the cable, (no wonder it was so hard to cut, lol!)
Well anyways, I learned from my mistake, and I have to get a new cable. I priced a self adjusting cable on a site, and it said like $35.00, does this sound correct? A manually adjusting cable costs about $20-$30 depending on where you get it, so can I just use the manually adjusting cable without the firewall adjuster, instead of buying the more expensive cable, or wont this work? (My budget is wearing thin, keep finding more stuff that needs fixed along the way).
Lastly, my haynes manual has very little descripption on how to change the clutch cable, I figured it out at the transmission, but that is it. I need to now how to change it from the clutch pedal to the firewall, I have no idea how that side of it works, so please be descriptive.
Well, sorry about the book, I thought I would share my stupidity, and get some help along the way, thanks.
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
gmhatr
Registered Member

The hookup for the clutch cable is under the dash almost right above the gas petal. it just slides into a thing that looks like a two pronged fork. If you have an aftermarket quadrent use the manually adjusting cable, If you dont I believe you can use either. But watch the way you route it. Ran mine about two years ago and just last week it got burnt by the hedder. lost all petal pressure and was a pain to get home.
gmhatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
5.0 Fiend
Registered Member

I can use either cable? If so that's cool, I'll probably get the quadrant later. Now arfter I unhook the cable from that two pronged fork, will that big grommet pull out of the firewall on the engine side?
5.0 Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
gmhatr
Registered Member

YA there should be one screw and it should pull right out...
gmhatr is offline   Reply With Quote