MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default SSBC disk brake conversion brake drag

I recently had one of these kits installed on my '65 coupe, and while checking something else out the other day, I noticed that the front wheels do not spin freely.

At first I thought that the rotors might have been torqued down too hard on the spindles, but I checked that out and no matter how much I loosen them, nothing changes.

I'm becoming convinced that the pads are contacting the rotor even when the brakes are not applied. I get a sort of abrasion sound when I force the wheels to turn, as well.

Is there any way for me to adjust this, or should I take the car back to MP to have them readjust, since they installed the kit in the first place?

P.S. gas mileage is noticably down, want to address this asap, as I am driving myself and my gf to work until she buys a new car.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: SSBC disk brake conversion brake drag

Well the brake pads always drag somewhat, but it shouldn't be excessive. If the wheel is hard to turn, it's too much. You could possibly have a stuck caliper or master cylinder.

If Mustangs Plus installed it for you I would swing by and have them check it out. I'm sure they could measure the disc temprature to see if it's excessive.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Re: SSBC disk brake conversion brake drag

Yeah, I went ahead and stopped by MP. Forgot how dead these boards are. They said the same thing about how they're supposed to rub a bit, but also that they had a ton of complaints about the SSBC disk conversion kit.

They readjusted them and now they're fine. Just sucked that I was without the car for a day when I'm playing chauffer after my gf destroyed my Taurus' transmission...

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote