MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2001, 10:23 AM   #1
David Fulford
Registered Member

Post Starter Solenoid question.

I purchased a Ford motorcraft starter solenoid from National parts depot for my 69 fastback. I took the wires from my existing one off one post at a time and put them on the new one. When I hooked the negative battery back up it sparked big time and sounded like the motor wanted to turn over. Is it possible that the new solenoid is wired different than the old. Any help would be appreciated.
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 10:49 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

David,
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, Why did you change this in the first place? It sounds like the solenoid or the ignition switch is stuck if the engine is trying to turn over.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 11:15 AM   #3
David Fulford
Registered Member

I wanted to change it simply because all the posts and connections were so rusty and corroded. I don't know what I did maybe I mixed up one of the wires but I don't think so. I'll get another one and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

David, I would just try hooking up the old one to see if it is the solenoid or not.
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2001, 05:24 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

OK., here's what I think happened. The lead from the starter got transferred from the front terminal to the rear terminal. We're talking the small terminals on the relay. When the key is on, the starter terminal (front) will not be hot, giving voltage to only the ignition and to all the other things connected to it (rear). If the starter wire is connected to this (incorrectly), then the starter motor will turn the motor over even in the "key on" position. The starter motor should only be energized when the front terminal is connected. This occurs only when the the key is twisted to the "start" position. Use a test lifgt to find out what is energizeed in these different posions of the ignition switch. If this is confusing, e-mail me or continue here.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 09:09 PM   #6
David Fulford
Registered Member

OK, I was at Autozone buying some odds and ends and decided to spend the 5 bucks on another solenoid. Put it on and fired it up.
???????????????????? who knows.
Old 02-28-2001, 04:05 PM   #7
Matt Elfstrum
Registered Member

The new solenoid you bought was most likely defective and the contacts could have been stuck. I would try, just for the heck of it, if you have a battery handy try grounding the solenoid and putting power to the small relay terminal. You should be able to here the solenoid clicking as you hook up and unhook the power if it is working properly.
Matt Elfstrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: